Home Technical Talk

Catwoman model problem.

Hi guys, just starting my diffuse map and had a quick theory regarding the following:

92460049qj0.jpg

First Head: Vertex Colours.
Second: Smooth Shade.
Third: Normal map and diffuse.

Now my issue is that whilst the diffuse looks like its coming on nicely in the first image, it doesnt look very good once the shading modifier or normal map is applied. Is this due to there not being enough detail on the diffuse yet or something technically that im doing wrong (i.e. borked normal map).

Thanks guys in advance.

Replies

• rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    as far as i know your first image is not vertex-color but fullbright (= no shading)

And yes, it looks bad with shading applied.. that's whay as good as everyone who is making no-normalmap textures working with fullbright materials.

If you'r working on a normalmaped texture, you can use a 50% selfilluminated material or a special shader which improves the shading result.

so lets say: technically your doing everything alright, but thexturewhise you could improve a lot with a better textures (diffuse, normal, spec, etc.)
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    place some slightly colored lights instead of the dumb default white light which causes the grey shading over your textures.
    Just add a light and make it for example bright yellow - or perhaps slighty orange - that might look more natural.