Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: The Phantom

Well, hello. Here's what i have worked on recently, and i would like some harsh critiques.

The_justitorbeauty-2.png

wires.jpg

maps-1.png

7000 tris, excluding platform. Go for it.

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    It's hard to make out a lot of the forms within the silhouette because there's not much variation in the texture. It's almost all the same value and color. Some darker or more colorful accents to provide some contrast around the edges of the armor plates could make it more readable, and also break it up visually and give it some rhythm. It looks like the AO map is doing some of this as it is, but you could push it further with more variation in the diffuse map.

Also, relatedly, right now it has a lot of high frequency detail all over, but not much in the medium range. The sword, for example, gets lost where it crosses over the body because of this.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    fly_soup wrote: »
    It's hard to make out a lot of the forms within the silhouette because there's not much variation in the texture. It's almost all the same value and color. Some darker or more colorful accents to provide some contrast around the edges of the armor plates could make it more readable, and also break it up visually and give it some rhythm. It looks like the AO map is doing some of this as it is, but you could push it further with more variation in the diffuse map.

Also, relatedly, right now it has a lot of high frequency detail all over, but not much in the medium range. The sword, for example, gets lost where it crosses over the body because of this.
    exactly what i was gonna say, only put more beautifully :P. :thumbup:
  • The Phantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    texturefix001.jpg

hmmmm... The issue i've been struggling with this model as far as texture is the variation. If it becomes too varied in my diffuse map, it stops looking like a heavy metal alloy, and starts looking like a rock.
  • The Phantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry, I completely failed to introduce myself properly. I'm Brandon, and I'm a former student who has taken two of spark's character modeling classes.

I'm going to work on this environment, from the start. Feel free to chime in anytime.