Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High poly environment

I made this environment based off of one of the Warhammer concept art. It is suppose to be a simple dock scene. I wanted to make this a high poly scene. This environment is about half a million polys. For this project i didn't make it exactly as it is in concept art but i got a lot of ideas from this picture.

This is my first high poly environment for my portfolio.

Brijesh Patel

Warhammer Concept art

WARca0207_03.jpg

3.png

2.png

1.png

Replies

• BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's turning out really cool. But I have to say, with the amount of geometric detail I'm seeing from the renders, I could easily see this condensed into a game-ready environment without much noticeable detail sacrificed.
  • Adam Curtis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam Curtis polycounter lvl 16
    You've lost all the quirkyness from the concept, the buildings silhouette is really boring, funk it up a bit! Curve the roofs, at more planks to the walls.

The texture work is killing it and I personally think the lights are a bit overpowering, all the deck details are lost in a sea of brown. Add more individual features and pay more attention to how you are applying the textures, looks like you've just slapped some on for most of the deck + light supports.

It's a nice idea, you just need to look at the concept more and see why it works so well.

Look forward to updates :)
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    the planks are way too small... on the dock.
  • edwardE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of the big selling points of Warhammer stuff is its exaggerated, cartoony look, while still retaining a serious overtone; what you have now looks like a good mock-up for the overall idea, but everything is very flat, and the shape of things is favoring a realistic look as opposed to the trademark Warhammer appeal.

It looks like your stuff could be around the same 'time period' as Warhammer, but it doesn't remind me of the same universe at all. Introduce off-kilter angles to everything; tweak verts that usually wouldn't be tweaked. Warhammer is interesting because nothing is perfect in it - things are almost always skewed in some manner or just look plain unsafe.

It's not that you've done it all for nothing; don't get me wrong - I just think that if you're shooting for that stylized look, it needs some more attention. I have to agree with BrodyB, as well; I don't think it would be hard to reduce this to game poly count with almost no reduction in perceived detail.
  • bp379
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thank you all for the feedback and i do agree with you guys about the whole feel of this environment. It does look plane and doesn't has much of the warhammer style. It will take some time but i will fix these problems and make it exaggerated and cartoony like edwardE said.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    - the textures are to big scaled and repeat to often- more unique patterns would be good.
    - texture colors have to much contrast - red looks like RGB red (full red), yellow like full yellow ect. no harmony at all
    - The building looks to new and right angled,- add some loop cuts in the house and make a bend towards the ground slightly so that it looks like the building sank a little bit to the ground within the time.