Home Technical Talk

Illustrator (CS3 ) - 3 questions

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Hiya, downloaded the trial, had it for 2 days and running into a couple of probs finishing my design so I have some quick questions for anybody that is familiar with this software.

1. When I scale all shapes down at once the 2 scatter brushes I have lose their placements on the paths. Is there a way of locking scatter brushes so that they remain in the same position but are scalable with the rest of the design?
2. When creating scatter brushes along a path is it possible to taper the scale of them evenly?
3. When scaling down the final design to fit uv's the file saved loses some quality, is there a particular setting that would allow crystal clarity even at 128 pixels or less?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Someone on irc helped me with the first one, thanks rebelxd :) Now, if I can be a pain the ass and just find answers to those other two I will be grateful, usually google turns up what I need but this time nothing.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    For 3, if you're saving the file in a non-vector format, then you're going to lose clarity, especially at small sizes. There are only so many pixels to go around. As an .ai or .eps you wouldn't technically lose any detail, but if you're scaling it down that much, the details stored in the file won't be visible without zooming in; and of course if you're trying to use it as a texture those formats wouldn't help anyway.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks fly_soup:thumbup: Did a bit of research on that but all was inconclusive and one part elusive being the non-existant jpeg 2000 option so decided to experiment. Seems that png 24 is the best format so took the design into Pshop afterwards and added some noise, multiplied with ao and it looked alot better.
    Still leaves no 2 to answer though I am having doubts as to the extent of control in that area, might have to use text symbols at different sizes or just use shapes and manually place them.