Home Technical Talk

"Hippie" Coloring in UT3

I've been having some trouble with the Unreal Tournament 3 editor recently. I just took a camp on the editor, but now that I'm home and am using a working computer, it's causing this strange glitch:

ScreenShot00000.jpg

Anyone have this happen to them? This is an outdoor map, and it looked perfectly fine on the camp's computers, but when I brought it home this happened, to this map and another.

Replies

• Inumo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per128 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I can't help you. I just want to say I do not tolerate this and I won't stand for it.
    ...?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    error rendering your lightmaps? i have to agree with Per128.
  • Inumo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX wrote: »
    error rendering your lightmaps? i have to agree with Per128.

I've tried rebuilding the maps. Also, what's with the anger? Just the thread name? I put hippie in quotes because I knew it wasn't actually hippie.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I think they are angry about the error. Not you :)
    As for the error I can't help you either. Never seen that happen.

Are you running same version of unreal on both computers? Probably not that but worth checking I guess. And you got all your packages and stuff with you?
  • Inumo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe wrote: »
    I think they are angry about the error. Not you :)
    As for the error I can't help you either. Never seen that happen.

Are you running same version of unreal on both computers? Probably not that but worth checking I guess. And you got all your packages and stuff with you?

Ah. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm fairly certain that I am using the same version. I'm not sure how to check for updates. However, I'm using the editor for this, and trying to work on the map from there. This is what comes up periodically when I try to test as player.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Kawe wrote: »
    I think they are angry about the error.

No no, it's the frigin hippies.
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a very interesting glitch you have there! I would check for corrupted light maps, (Although you said you checked that), Backup and delete everything in your custom folders, and check your terrain setup. ( maybe a screwed up layer in your terrain?) Do post the solution when you figure it out!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    any chance you could zip and upload the files? would be interesting to see if it is a "just you" thing or if the actual map has the issues.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's happened to me two times before, one time when making a custom map for practice (UT3 UED), and one when editing an existing Gears of War map. I could never get it "fixed" so I just went back to an older saved file and started from there again.

If the terrain ever goes really, really bright with blue/red/pink/etc. (like a rainbow), it just means your terrain is too complex (i.e.- for example, if you have too many materials in your terrain).

:poly108:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks a hell of a lot like vertex color to me. I'm not a UE3 guy though.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    This isn't a bug, in fact it's a troubling tracking feature. If the user is extremely homosexual, usually the "disease" is latent and's present's unknown'it to the user, the vertex colors will dazzle the eyes in a vertex rainbowy dance of ecstasy and confusion. You should probably gather essential belongings in an easy to carry suitcase and lay low for a while, you've already been marked. You're probably already dead.

That or you should set your vertex color to white, reset xform, &c... and try reimporting... that's all I got.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm. That isn't a static mesh is it. That's Unreal's terrain geo, eh?

I'd look for some type of vertex color painter within the editor..

I'm thinking it might be a video card problem, noting it works on one computer and not the other.. get the newest drivers..

I'd still like to think you're being hit by Epic's gay gamer hunter ninja snipers.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    oh, I assumed he used the terrain system that comes with UE3 and not imported geometry. but if it's imported then I suggest you use the terrain that comes with UE3 cause it has all these amazing things.. like LOD and what not.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perhaps try selecting everything (go to an orthographic view alt-drag, IIRC, and select everything) then copy everything, delete everything, and then paste what's in your clipboard, and then rebuild all.

Maybe that'll work.
  • Inumo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan wrote: »
    Perhaps try selecting everything (go to an orthographic view alt-drag, IIRC, and select everything) then copy everything, delete everything, and then paste what's in your clipboard, and then rebuild all.

Maybe that'll work.

I'll try that, see if it works.