Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D-Level Desinger

Greets, sorry for abandoning the old thread, but the links wouldn't work for some reason, and so im re posting. Feel free to delete the old thread. Basically Im a mapper who has experience on the battlefield series released by ea, and i came here wising to receive some good honsest advice. I currently work for a world war two mod, and I would like for my stuff to look as good as possible.

The first map I am showing is a desert map that is loosly based of off Gazala, and will not be included in release, due to it's inacuracy.

gazalaplanno0rs0.jpg

screen000sc1gi8.jpg

screen002vy8ij6.jpg

screen003cd2uc4.jpg

screen007bp5oh6.jpg

screen008or9gs0.jpg

screen014zd9si5.jpg

screen042ze3zw9.jpg

screen049ab5nn3.jpg

Replies

• jeremy8529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This next Map is about Jungle Warfare in Pupa New Guanine surrounding an airfield.

screen000ge4ad1.jpg

screen001rq8or6.jpg

screen004oz2vo9.jpg

screen006ph4mx0.jpg

screen020px3in3.jpg

screen021fi0or2.jpg

screen022mn1al8.jpg

screen025ei9lc3.jpg

screen030ua3gp9.jpg

screen032zj4za2.jpg
  • jeremy8529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This next map is Tobruq, things to note, it is WIP, and lightmaps have not been rendered on anything including water.

screen000km1hs6.jpg

screen001xx9bd7.jpg

screen002em8pk0.jpg

screen004po4na3.jpg

screen011gl3ul3.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my gripe is that it's not immersive, as a landscape it's fairly believable... except it seems to dramatically go from dry and arid, to wet and lush.

however the layouts of your bases, buildings and stuff, just seems like it was all plonked down without rhyme or reason. plan your bases, make it the way a real base would be made, you need a strong outer defence etc.

make players believe they are there.
  • jeremy8529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What exactly do you mean, it goes from dry and arid to wet and lush? These are all different levels, they are not the same map. The levels are separated via post. Unless, I am missing something.
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    Im not a level designer but im just wondering if you were only responsible for placement of the objects? did you texture the scene?
    -Like i said Im not a level designer but the textures really don't look good and need more tweaking for example : when the player is walking up to this ramp where there is a jeep ahead of him...if you look down...the grass is CRYSTAL clear but the ramp is noticeably low res another image you posted of a fighter jet on the ground the grass texture seems like it needs to be scaled down a bit.
    -im a huge call of duty 4 fan and their attention to detail is i think the standard, level designers should live up to, i dont know if this is your finished product or if your still working on it but obviously your forest level i think is fine but other levels need more depth. at the camps there should be ammo crates, barrels of oil, spare machine parts, weapons, lights, generators,wall on the perimeter of the camp to keep out enemies, barb wire ext all this adds to the immersion as almighty said of a game.
  • jeremy8529
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As a level designer, I am responsible for requesting statics and textures, that I go and place in game. I make the terrain, and set the lighting settings also. So I basically take a bunch of resources and slap them together in an environment. The only thing that I "Make" from scratch really is the terrain.

And Yes, the Forrest map is the only one that I would actualy called finished, and I do aprricate the advice.