Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WarHammer: medieval Building

Taizy79
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Taizy79 polycounter lvl 14
This was a test to see how fast I could bring a piece from a concept to realization. It took a great deal longer then expect a whooping two weeks, but all and all it was an excellent learning experience. The textures are 100% hand painted to emulate the concept art. The models were original done in Maya then exported into ut3. Feedback is appreciated.

ScreenShot00017.jpg

ScreenShot00018.jpg

ScreenShot00021.jpg

warHammer concept art
Building_2.jpg

wireframes the tris count is 5084

MD_wireframe1.jpg

MD_wireframe2.jpg

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Not bad! Looks like you have some unnecessary polys in the wire frame that could have been used to model out some more features in the structure. Also, the tiles are different sizes in places, which is weird. Break up the bottom like in the concept. Also the stone work on the stairs seems a bit large. It just seems like there are alot of right angles, where the concept is busted up. You have a lot of pictures here, but none of your hand painted textures, which I am sure you slaved over. Show them off! All in all, good job, take what you learned and keep going!
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its crying out for a normal map
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, I would definatley bust it up at places to make it less symmetrical and fewer right angles as Cody said. I would also try to add something below the chimney and house part below it, those huuuge stones in the chimney doesn't really look like they could be supported by the small piece of house below it. Also the big difference in material between the stairs and the foundation coupled with the lack of transition between materials could need some work imo.

Keep up the good work.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good job making and putting this in ut3. You would have been better off posting sooner for because there's a lot of Mythic artists here that could have aimed you in the right direction. For one, I modeled this building in WAR.

For starters, the scale is way off, lots of interpretation errors, not enough modeled detail, textures too small, etc. Again, it's a lot of things. If you want me to be more specific I can, but understand it'll require you rebuilding this from the ground up.

Here's some reference:
    Same building on the left
    http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/screenshots/Screens20070905_30.jpg
    More empire close up detail
    http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/screenshots/Screens20070905_14.jpg
  • Taizy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taizy79 polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you all for your comments, they will help me improve this piece allot. Cholden your insight on this piece is very value. I would appreciate more specific feedback on improving it.