Home Technical Talk

high-poly modelling for non-organic objects

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Zephir62 polycounter lvl 12
What the best way to model this concept? NURBS?

shipcopyiv4.jpg

I've never done high-poly modelling before so tips are welcome

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    whatever you think its best for you... I would use zbrush to make a start and then use polygons snapped to it to make the bevels and such. I know ppl that makes it from scratch and start with polygons and they do it very well.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Anohter good way would be to build it in the 3d package just like it might be built in real life. Like a car or table or car engin.

First, Model each peice

Then zbrush the details of each individual peice. Might be worth while to build in "even Quads".

Also if you UV the model (just the high density model, not UVs for your final product) and then paint in "Black and White" bump details in photoshop, you could then extrude those details in zbrush through masking - "Mask by intensity" then Deformations. Usually "Size", or "Offset" works nicely.

I think if you start molding your thinking around how the model is assembled in real life then you'll stand a better chance of having a higher detail model.

I hope that helps. :)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how you asked for advice on drawing this without the aid of 3d, and now you're asking how best to turn it into 3d ;D

The collar turned out pretty cool, I like it.

edit: and also, I would just do it with sub-d, not zbrush. Seems a bit of an odd suggestion, as well.
    Unless you're comfortable with Nurbs, ofcourse, in which case you should try doing it that way.

Also, there's this article on subdivision modeling on the wiki: http://wiki.polycount.net/Subdivision_Surface_Modeling