Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tammy the Schoolgirl Boxer

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys!

I've been really excited about Facebreaker by EA that's coming out in a couple months. I love the art style in particular and it inspired me to do a character based off the style of the game. Here's what I've got sofar, I'd love to hear some critiques and suggestions.

Plans for her not yet implemented - medium and high poly models, normal maps and hand DRAWN textures (not painted in Photoshop but actually drawn/shaded in graphite) and some big boxing gloves.

Here's a screenshot

tammydc0.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Hand drawn textures sound interesting, you gonna print out the uvs right?
    Model looks good, it looks like you've got a few extra vertical cuts you don't need at the joints, particularly the elbow.
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Her body doesn't seem to curve much right now. Like the waist doesn't curve inward and the hips out. But damn, good luck with the hand drawn texturing. I aught to try that sometime.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for the crits guys! I'll implement them before i start on the medium poly model. Get some more detail in there before taking it to Z brush. Also i appreciate the encouragement for the idea on texturing. I've seen people try to emulate the hand drawn look through filters and whatnot *ahemstreetfighter4ahem*. But I sorta figured - if you wanna make it look hand drawn, why not MAKE IT hand drawn?

Anyway, here's hoping i can pull it off. I'll be updating soon when I've got a decent update worth showing.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on what I got sofar. Spent some time UVing and now I'm just starting the normal mapping process. Here are some quick renders with maya software. Critiques and comments muchly appreciated, as always.

tammykq3.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a little bit of progress on the high poly version

test5fb1.jpg
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're going to hand draw the texture and do a zbrush sculp....I think the normal map would be fighting any detail you put into the drawing.

Looking pretty good so far.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good, off to a good start.

Crits:
    Hands and feet should balance themselves out proportion wise.
    - Those are boxing gloves. I haven't seen a cartoon-ish boxer with realistic gloves...ever.
    - Those feet, are gun boats. Think about how she's going to move? Quick and light on her feet? Beautiful and graceful? Or tripping over her size 72's? Just about every cartoon that has beautiful women, their feet are small. I'm not saying to drop the gun boats, but if I was going to animate it, I'd probably ask you to scale them back a bit, (ok a lot).