Home General Discussion

XSI 7 Online Launch Event @ CGSociety

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
CG Society hosted an Online Event covering the upcoming XSI 7 release by Softimage earlier today and the Quicktime video is available for download.

Check it out if you are an XSI user or just curious about the latest from Softimage. Further info and videos are being released at the Softimage website regularly, including some ICE tutorials in their discussion forums.

Event Video
Softimage

Replies

• robioto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robioto polycounter lvl 18
    I.C.E. looks promising. So while people have been waiting for Autodesk to rewrite 3ds max and Maya once, Softimage rewrote XSI twice? Wild! Can't wait to check out the trial. I have to admit though the interface and custom hot keys really threw me off when I tried it last. Thanks man I had no idea it was coming out so soon.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    No problem =]. Keep your eyes open for UI changes that favor familiar environments like max and maya. They are trying to provide a more friendly experience for users coming over from those apps. The current version supports mapping the alt key for viewport navigation (which I prefer too) and 7 supposedly has some sweet mousewheel zoom control. There's more and more general UI stuff that is being modified to accomodate max/maya users with every release, but those two are big ones for me.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Does look great, Should give houdini a run for it's money. I finally can say something after the studio I worked at got a private demo + Q/A. Now that you can tweak absolutely anything in XSI with ice, I don't see any limits on XSI now as long as there TD's making tools and 3rd party plugins.
  • diffa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been playing with xsi 7 for a while, and I have to say is been fun. ICE is very cool. For me the best new feature is, that u can now build your own glsl shaders in rendertree. Our contentpath is build over xsi, so now I can build glsl shader in rendertree and see the result inside xsi in realtime using our 3d engine( our 3d engine runs on xsi custom display).
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    diffa wrote: »
    I've been playing with xsi 7 for a while, and I have to say is been fun. ICE is very cool. For me the best new feature is, that u can now build your own glsl shaders in rendertree. Our contentpath is build over xsi, so now I can build glsl shader in rendertree and see the result inside xsi in realtime using our 3d engine( our 3d engine runs on xsi custom display).

Ooooooh nice. I'm bloody jealous. I really want an engine that runs in the xsi CDH. Is your company considering releasing a CDH closed source viewer?