Home Technical Talk

Noob Question - More Morph Channels

Hello,

I have a mesh that requires more than the 100 morph channels (3ds max) than the morph modifier can provide.

Question 1: Is there a script to increase the number of morph channels in the morph modifier? Unfortunately, I have no scripting experience so any help would be great!

Question 2: It is possible to assign a custom attribute (percentage) to a mesh and wire it to a another mesh (becomes a morph target)?

The goal is to get more than 100 morph channels.

THANKS!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    If you're using more than 100 morph targets, that sounds prohibitively difficult for anyone to animate effectively. However you can try stacking multiple Morph modifiers.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    what do you need over a 100 morph targets for?
  • Mark Dygert
    I'm not sure I understand the second question. Do you want one object to drive morph(s) percentage? Kind of like a control board?

You can pull that off with Reaction Manager, or wire parameters. I suggest using reaction manager, because it doesn't require expressions to be written. This tutorial covers creating a control board for facial animation.

http://www.aldenfilion.com/tutorial/face_rig/facial_rig.htm

It goes over the basics of reaction manager. Using this method you can have an unlimited number of morphs driven by one master object.
  • jeffrey
    low odor wrote: »
    what do you need over a 100 morph targets for?

I want to give the user flexibility. I am developing a character mesh. Each channel will allow the end user to customize the mesh. Facial modifications alone can start to add up and I would like to do the entire body.

I have tried stacking morph modifiers but it did not work. I was hoping to be able to:

1)Have each morph target as a wired custom attribute to the mesh

or

2)Have a script that does the same thing as the morph modifier but has as many channels as the end user needs.

I believe morph-o-matic has unlimited channels but I do not want anyone who has the mesh to have to buy an expensive plugin or be limited to morphs.

I hope this explains it better
  • jeffrey
    Vig wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand the second question. Do you want one object to drive morph(s) percentage? Kind of like a control board?

You can pull that off with Reaction Manager, or wire parameters. I suggest using reaction manager, because it doesn't require expressions to be written. This tutorial covers creating a control board for facial animation.

http://www.aldenfilion.com/tutorial/face_rig/facial_rig.htm

It goes over the basics of reaction manager. Using this method you can have an unlimited number of morphs driven by one master object.

I would like to use the wire parameters but I do not know how or "what the expression would be to tell the custom attribute to use the morph as the user moves the slider.

I have been able to wire parameters to rotate around an axis and simple stuff like that.