Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Mod Facade Challenge

Ok I realise I'm very late, might not finish before the deadline but I just want to do this, regardless of timelines.

DSC05246.jpg
DSC05312.jpg

I'll make this facade of "De Bijenkorf" in The Hague, it's just too awesome, so I won't change much to it.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Nice building, an dI can see how it'd work really well as a modular building.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    wow, very cool design
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    amsterdamse school ftw :D very cool!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdamse school in The Hague :D
    Most likely the coolest Bijenkorf in Holland. I love that building.

Looking forward to seeing you tackle this, I hope you'll find the time to finish (on time or not)
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I love that expressionist style, and I think it could work very well with game art.
    Pea, if this was still around, it would stand a good chance.
    bijenkorfenprofile.jpg

Made some attempt at blocking in the parts. Crits appreciated as I'm a bit uneasy yet with the normal thing, what parts would happily "tile" with tiling normals and what are worth making unique normals for? thinking the little sign and the stuff above that, like the statue.

mockuple5.jpg

BTW how can I change the title so it appears right in the forum? When I change my first post title it only shows up in this thread.
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Woot! Den Haag! XD

You took those pictures yourself didn't you?

Cool Cool I'm looking forward to this :D

I worked in that white building in the back to the left btw :P(Stadhuis)
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I did take those pictures myself ^^

Hadn't subdivision modeled in ages, only lowpoly hehe, was a bit rusty:

subdvscreeniekg7.jpg
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok since it's been a time I did such a next-geny project my workflow was a bit all over the place. I was trying to make the stuff first in high-poly first, but that didn't work for me, as pieces needed to be nice and detailed for baking. Could never have made it in full highpoly. So I went on making more lowpoly, bit more highpoly, back and forth. Like this sculpted bottom-stop-object for between the long window parts( pink coloured in the overview) :
    bottompiecesculptoe1.jpg

Then I realized with making this lowpoly I was practically making a block-in, so then I kind of ventured on making a lowpoly/block-in thing first. Result:

facadeupdatewb1.jpg

Now I'll be isolating the different sections, refining the lowpoly and sculpting some highpoly pieces for each part.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    cool =), i bought some pants in that building once!
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the boost guys ! And nice work on your facade Eric.

Seeing as brick is the most important part in the screen on this piece I figured I could make it really shine. So I took off to make a nice base brick and take that to mudbox.
    brickbaseiz6.jpg

Made 5 whole brick variations and 2 half ones, and randomly placed them in a grout grid, made the end pieces on the side and top/bottom the same so it would tile. Xnormal saved my ass on this one, as max choked pretty quickly with the 8 million polys.

mudboxedbricksbq5.jpg

Slapped it in the mockup with a quick flat uv
    normalmappedor0.jpg

Blocked out a basic diffuse too

diffusetookj2.jpg

diffuse:

textureno3.jpg

The style I'm going for is really gritty but saturated, a range of reds and nice strong turquoise.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    very nice bricks! but i do think it's a little oversaturated, if you compare that to your reference image it is just way more red.
    keep it up! cool to see something i actually saw come to 3d :D
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gyaah! I fail for not making it in time, I'll still try to work on it as much as I can cope.

Thanks Japhir, I'm taking a bit of artistic liberty with the building, so I'm not trying to exactly match saturation. Still a good idea to dial it down a bit, this is just a rough first pass.

So I modeled some more and baked some more:
    bakingupdatedz0.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Looks REALLY cool! Diffuse could use some more work unless you are going for a hand painted style. Can we see the normal and diffuse together?
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Cody, leaving out the diffuse for now, straight ao+grey and normals

With all due respect to the architect and the style, but I hate the statues on top. Instead I made a little paintover that should make silhouette a bit more interesting too! Should be ventilation devices, little in/outlets in those vertical insets.

54133464c8f747cfa2oks5.jpg

General update on the lowpoly modelin and bakin. I have some really annoyin fuzzyness going on on the top stone blocks, looks like it's going out into a lower mipmap or something, anyone know how to get rid of it?

updategw8.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try forcing on anisotropic filtering in your graphics card drivers, that should help improve mip quality in general.