Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Sword

Been a while since I made anything new. Been lots of chilling this summer, hehe.
Anyway, I've been wanting to do an darkish elven sword for some time but I never got happy with the designs I came up with. But finally, I've come up with one :)

Here's the highpoly, lowpoly and concept:

PQVWGTTvN.jpg

The red line, is there a death penalty for having it there? Or is there any other good ways when mirroring the sword and its UVs?

And, I'm really puzzled about the UV layout... How much is it worth cutting it up to max the space?
I haven't started placing the shells in any order at all, just so you know ;)

YMKyRJIiF.jpg

The grip looks different on both sides so I can't mirror it, hence the big UV shell there.

Help and critique is very much welcome!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty cool, I like the curvy design and flowing shapes.

It really doesn't look like you need to split up the UVs much, in fact it almost looks like you could have the whole sword as one UV shell (or maybe two if having the seam down the back of the blade causes too much distortion around the hilt).

I think if you have too many seams in this, it will hurt the quality of the normalmap and make texturing it effectively harder. I definitely think you can keep this really connected in the UV map.

Looking forward to the textures!
  • Johan Carlsson
    Thanks MoP. :) I'll try experimenting with having more or less one big shell, I guess it doesn't hurt to try some different ones out and just quickly bake the normals to it to see how it would look, thanks again!
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    i'm not sure if i'm a fan of the colors in the concept, but the overall shape is kick ass. looks like something right out of Lord of the Rings. I could totally picture an elf.....or maybe a ringwriath wielding that.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Thanks man_o_mule

Let me know more about what you think of the colors :) Even if I might not change them that much on this one, it might be something worth knowing for other projects! Please share :)

A question to ya'll though, since having a square UV map for this one will be wasting UV space like hell, and having a 1024x515 still won't be good enough. Would a 2048x512 be a bad texture size? I was originally going for a 1024x1024 texture.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Personally I don't always go by the "Must be 100% shared pixel density no matter what" rule, especially when you have something with an odd shape like this. Whether it's a 2048x512 - or whatever size you decide to use - you could consider still maximizing every square inch possible of your UV space.

When it comes to normal maps, especially in some Engines, the compression of normal maps can really hurt the overall details if you aren't giving them enough pixel space in your UV's. The handle area and some of the finer details, for example could be lost without a little more space.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Ott - True true. But leaving unused Uv space hurts. Even if it has the odd shape of a long banana :) Anyway, this is the UV-layout I made for the 2048 attempt:

YdVBHsAwX.jpg

And this is the baked attempt on the lowpoly using that layout and size:

hQyjBOVXz.jpg

GFwkvZZIq.jpg

I think it looks fairly ok but let me know what you guys think!
    Don't really want to start texturing before this part is approved ^^
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Ott - True true. But leaving unused Uv space hurts.

?

I was saying not to leave any unused space :)

If that's your projection onto the low res, I say it looks good :)
  • Johan Carlsson
    Ott wrote: »
    I was saying not to leave any unused space :)

Oh, my bad! Sorry, I got you wrong the first time.

Onward to texturing!
  • Jeansson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ohh.. looks really nice johan :)

looking forward to see the finished model.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Hehe, thanks Johan :D
    Not sure if it'll be done before school starts though, but I sure hope it will be.

You should get started before school kicks in again too!
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work as usual, I would consider adding more defined edges on some parts, but I guess thats mainly a matter of opinion. Go go texturing!

(Jeansson, 127.0.0.1 is not the postal code for grycksbo now, is it :D)
  • Johan Carlsson
    Hehe, thanks buddy :)

But where do you mean? I could still take it into consideration and see if it would make things look better! But I guess you're thinking of the detail going from the handle and out on the blade?
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Yup, especially the stuff inside the part of the decorations furthest down the blade.