Home General Discussion

Congrats to Mythic Entertainment (Whats in a name?)

In case you haven't heard, EA Mythic is going to be once again called Mythic Entertainment.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/239/feature/2040

Why is this important news? Because even though it is just a name change, it shows EA, and John Ricitello in particular, are walking the walk. The anti-corporate part of me dislikes how EA buys everyone out (and the feeling is not unique- many around the office are glad EA failed to buy out Take Two), whether they destroy the studio or not. But for the last decade, EA has been destroying many of the studios they bought out, but it seems EA has finally admitted that (old news) and continues to correct their ways.

I know when I heard EA bought BioWare, part of me died, and it was a big question I had before taking the job. And while I have never been a part of independent BioWare, folks who have tell me things have actually only improved (having the EA infrastructure has streamlined many administrative things). And I haven't ever heard anything come down to EA that would effect our game, or any gripes, complaints. And when our new branding came out, we were all worried we'd be called EA BioWare... but we are just BioWare, a division of EA, that's pretty acceptable I think. And I think when you look at some of the other EA games and studios around, you see the same sort of thing (DICE?).

So I'd like to say, congrats to Mythic Entertainment for reclaiming their identity and branding. And while it isn't going as far as what Bungie did (which I think is awesome) it is a encouraging, for me at least. I just hope it keeps up and I hope other companies can learn what seems like common sense- you buy a studio because they are successful, mettle as little as possible as long as they continue to be successful.

Do people care over there in Fairfax, or is this just me?

Replies