Home General Discussion

local access only

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
I have a new del xps 1730 and its a pretty smokin system, i have verry few complaints about it, but 2 days ago it started giving me trouble connecting to the home wireless network. its a vista 32 machine. and while i have not had any other vista related problems, i am still new and undecided about the O/S. It finds my local network easily but then it just says local access only, or limited connectivity, depending on the window i look at. the xp machine set up next to it works fine on the network.

any ideas and suggestions? and stuff like VISTA SUCKS! are not suggestions.

Replies

• J Randall
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    sounds like a problem with the internal vista firewall what are your settings?
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahh, Rhino, Ive had the same kind of problem with the same kind of machine/set up. if you end up figuring it out, id love to know, since I gave up on it, and no more wireless with vista. maybe it was because the other computer were vista free, or else, No idea..I dont know much about that kind of things
  • Illusions
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Update wireless device drivers...if that doesn't fix it, I don't know. Thats what worked for me on my Linksys wireless card.
  • low odor
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    My mom had this problem when she got a new computer..we updated the drivers..and it worked..but it is still really flakey..every so often she had to reconfigure everything because it decides it doesnt want to comunicate with xp
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I've messed around a bit with Vista on wired networks, but not much with wifi on them. As a possible fix, check to make sure that the network discovery is enabled.
  • Mark Dygert
    Network discovery is disabled by default I think. Like flaagan mentioned make sure its on. I had the same issue with a laptop running Vista, and it happened later when my work machine was upgraded to vista.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Also, Rhino, it sounds stupid to say, but give Vista a chance before you jump on the 'hate it' bandwagon. I've found from setting up multiple Vista systems for myself, family, and my father's business (whole network of 'em) that a lot of the things people complained about are actually pretty well thought out features that keep the system safe for the less experienced computer user. Going in and tweaking with a few settings usually results in a lot of those headaches going away and the OS being very pleasant to work with.
  • Pedro Amorim
    set an ip for your machine in the wireless tab, instead of being automatic.
    i had the same problem and i fixed it this way.