Home General Discussion

Eat 3D announces Next-Gen Texturing Techniques

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Riki polycounter lvl 9
May I introduce to you an exciting new training video brought to you by Eat 3D (www.eat3d.com).

The instructor starts off by explaining the very fundamentals of using Photoshop for texturing. From there he goes into depth on how to set up your high res and low res meshes for rendering Normal, AO, and other Maps.
Once the scene and basics have been defined it's on to the entire texturing process of the self contained scene.
This video has almost 5 hours of teaching and demonstration that will serve as the ultimate texturing resource.

To watch a sample of the video please visit this link:
http://eat3d.com/ngt_sample
ngt_main_shot.jpg

The instructor is a Sr. Environment Artist at Midway Games in Austin and has been involved in making games for over 6 years now. He has worked on titles such as Midways Stranglehold and Blacksite Area 51, and is currently working on an exciting ultra high quality next-gen game.

Sincerely,
Riki Babington - Eat3D Admin

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    as soon as i get some more money im going to buy this :)
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great!
    I'm tempted to get this even though I already know how to texture.
    Very nice presentation
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    mmm crunchy...
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    neeed....money......must....sell.....worldly goods.....
  • J Randall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J Randall polycounter lvl 15
    Oh this is going on my to do list. Thanks for the info!
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    You guys seem to be doing a great job at Eat3d turning out some really high quality looking vids. I can't wait to pick these suckers up over the next few months.
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    I need some extra money fast, I best be nice to the other half and see if she'll buy me it.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    how useful would this be for other 3d software. I noticed max was being used, how applicable is the majority of the video to maya, xsi, etc...
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I really enjoyed the pillar dvd, this looks great as well, will probably pick it up.. good job again!
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah congrats! I got this one too. Looking forward to watching it.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Eat3d has always defined awesome....will definitely have a run through with this...
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    do want. will buy.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    MikeF wrote: »
    how useful would this be for other 3d software. I noticed max was being used, how applicable is the majority of the video to maya, xsi, etc...

well since it's more focused on texturing i would say whatever 3d package you use doesn't matter.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    it's like a money machine I just keep giving them money.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet. Now i just need some extra cash.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent, will be buying this soon.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks like I'll be ordering this too :). The pillar tutorial was excellent!
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Deal. Bought. Sold.

Whatever you want to call it. Time for some downloading.
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    Quality training materials.
    Definitely going to pick up a copy.
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up getting this tutorial.

I think this is a thorough tutorial that covers the whole process quite well. Beginners will get more out of this than advanced users. Even so it is always good to see how other people work, personally I picked up a few work-flow and management tips.
    The video is easy to follow except in some parts the use of masks and layers very quickly could confuse new users. My main criticism is that the second half is a lot slower, the 20 min touch-ups of each map could have been cut down in my opinion.
    Presentation and quality is good.

Overall I would recommend this to new users, not so much if you are familiar with the topics.

Things not covered that would have been nice: Gloss maps, SSS maps, detail textures and decals.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Splash, for decals and what not he goes really in-depth with it in the unreal materials video, another amazing tut.
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I definitely want to pick up some of these DVDs, what with all the great feedback and all. Plus, I feel like I'm really falling behind since I haven't touch UE3 yet. You've sold me!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    if only I had money lol

Im in the process of moving house :/
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 18
    I downloaded this the other day and have been watching the tutorial videos, though I'm not finished yet. It's very useful stuff but either I somehow skipped a portion or the videos kind of jumped from a flat diffuse + ao on multiply right on to halfway finished diffuse and then started polishing it from there. wasn't a real big deal as far as learning how to texture goes because he demonstrates his process of photosourcing with blending modes and masks and it's not a stretch to fill in the blanks.

the introductory segments on photoshop were kind of remedial, like the video is targeted at people who've never used custom brushes or layer blending modes or layer masks before. all the texturing demonstration I've seen in the videos so far has to do with photosourcing textures, and I'd like to see more in the way of painting them.

on the other hand, I'm just starting to get into the unreal editor and all the material he covered on the subject is super useful to me. I also like the dude's accent.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gah! if i could afford 70 bucks for this, id be sooooo happy =((((
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Hello rootdown!
    rootdown wrote: »
    I downloaded this the other day and have been watching the tutorial videos, though I'm not finished yet. It's very useful stuff but either I somehow skipped a portion or the videos kind of jumped from a flat diffuse + ao on multiply right on to halfway finished diffuse and then started polishing it from there. wasn't a real big deal as far as learning how to texture goes because he demonstrates his process of photosourcing with blending modes and masks and it's not a stretch to fill in the blanks.

Thanks! Hmm, Can you open the video player for me (or the mp4 files) and tell me which section jumps like you are mentioning. I hope nothing is wrong with the player or videos but the video is definitley supposed to go through every step after the basic flat diffuse+AO. Let me know and Ill do my best to figure out what wong and fix it asap!
    the introductory segments on photoshop were kind of remedial, like the video is targeted at people who've never used custom brushes or layer blending modes or layer masks before. all the texturing demonstration I've seen in the videos so far has to do with photosourcing textures, and I'd like to see more in the way of painting them.

Yeah I really wanted to have something for everyone with this DVD, that is why it is 5 hours long. I could have easily split it as 2 DVDs and sold them separate, but I decided to go all out and make 1 video from beginner to professional.

I do agree that its more photosourcing than painting, mainly because that is how it is done in next-gen games. I do have potentially some other instructors with a strong painting background, and I hope they are going to make DVDs in the future to show off their expertise.
    on the other hand, I'm just starting to get into the unreal editor and all the material he covered on the subject is super useful to me. I also like the dude's accent.

lol, thanks again, but like most people I cant stand the sound of my voice. Ive tried everything to remove the accent but its stuck with me I guess. :p

-Riki
  • Riki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    TheSplash wrote: »
    I ended up getting this tutorial.

I think this is a thorough tutorial that covers the whole process quite well. Beginners will get more out of this than advanced users. Even so it is always good to see how other people work, personally I picked up a few work-flow and management tips.
    The video is easy to follow except in some parts the use of masks and layers very quickly could confuse new users. My main criticism is that the second half is a lot slower, the 20 min touch-ups of each map could have been cut down in my opinion.
    Presentation and quality is good.

Overall I would recommend this to new users, not so much if you are familiar with the topics.

Things not covered that would have been nice: Gloss maps, SSS maps, detail textures and decals.

I appreciate the honest review, that is a great idea about the other kinds of maps, Ill keep it in mind for future ideas. :)

Also thanks to the rest of you for the kind words about our stuff at eat3d!
  • Mando Magic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mando Magic polycounter lvl 11
    This DVD is amazing. I bought it, plus two others from Eat3D.com, and it is jam-packed with vital information. I am going to re-do my entire portfolio after watching this DVD over and over. A must have for any aspiring next-gen game artist, and a solid resource for any working professional. Keep the DVDs coming, RIKI!!!!!
  • root
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    root polycounter lvl 18
    Riki wrote: »
    Hmm, Can you open the video player for me (or the mp4 files) and tell me which section jumps like you are mentioning. I hope nothing is wrong with the player or videos but the video is definitley supposed to go through every step after the basic flat diffuse+AO. Let me know and Ill do my best to figure out what wong and fix it asap!

I figured out what the problem was: I thought the contents of the first zipfile played all the way through and then it was on to the second zipfile. I went back and opened the first one and saw that I'd completely skipped section 2 because of this.

so uh don't mind me guys I just can't operate basic user interfaces :|
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Really good like Pillar, and unreal material techniques. The series are great for people that know nothing or are trying to fill in the gaps of next gen.

Alex
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This tut looks like the very thing I need to get all I have learned so far together. My only concern is that the video might be getting outdated... can anybody tell me if this is true before I fork out the money?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    It's a great dvd, i dont find it outdated at all really.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright... I will give it a try then.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got the video and watched about half of it so far... so much information. And for someone like myself who's still looking to find a groove in my work flow, its a life saver.