Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: WWI trench

DerekB525
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
DerekB525 polycounter lvl 10
Hey all I'm looking for crits on the modeling in general, the textures aren't final. The wood and metal textures are just basic place holders from cgtextures.com. However I did make the dirt/mud although it still does need some work. The boardwalk and walls aren't. I'm trying to make this one of many sections to make a modular trench system. I've never really experimented with modular designs before and thought this would be a creative way to begin.

If anyone can shed any light on the structure of WWI trenches that would also help. Preferably the trenches occupied by the American Marines of the time.

trench3.jpg
trench4.jpg
trenchwire2.jpg

Replies

• CIgano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what seems more evident to me at first glance is that the 'walls' are too uniform.
    wwi15.gif
    notice that the path is very zigzag-y, rather than having defined straight lines, try to break up the even-ness that you have so it looks a bit more natural. Also, to me, the path seems too thin, or maybe it's the walls wich are too high. Remember that trenches served also as living quarters most of the time, so the soldiers needed space to maneuver.

As for the ground, I think modelling all the planks individually is a bit of a waste, you could easely get away with only modelling a few planes. My advice would be that you model small imperfections(lumps etc) on the ground, to give the idea of dirt, and then use a plane here and there in the lower areas so it's aparent there are planks beneath the dirt layers.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much agree with CIgano. I know you already tried to ruff it up a lil, but you need to keep in mind how and why it was build. Your scene looks as if made by a contractor, not something dug with spades in rough terrain under time pressure. The planks might prevent the walls from collapsing, but dirt would still pile up on the ground (and sides), especially in loose soil (or from rain).

Consider having to build this yourself. What problems could occur? Maby theres a large "unmovable" rock you have to workaround, planks break and need to be reinforced, shortage of supplys could meen comming up with alternative solutions etc..

Ofcause refs will help alot.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The trenches where more chaotic and thrown together the closer to the front lines you got. So it really depends on where these trenches are. If they're closer to a prepared HQ things will be more organized and better defended.

The zig zag was usually on purpose to break up line of sight if the trenches where breached. But they didn't always zig zag some trenches where built with time care and planning and they used 90 degree angles but still kept line of sight limited.

There really is no one way to build a trench, but you do need to keep to the laws of physics. Dirt would push back in on the slats or they would back fill.

Crits:
    - There are a lot of edges in the terrain that aren't being used, either use them, or lose them.
    - The sides of the metal siding are covered, which mean the only benefit of having each hill/valley modeled in is lost, something like that is the perfect candidate for a normal map or just flat textures.
    - The boards on the ground are laid out like decking, but they often ran with the trench lengthwise not widthwise. You could save a bunch of polys by doing that.
    - The boards on the sides since they are so uniform and close together you could use bigger boxes to represent a few boards at a time.
    - This trench was dug, where did the dirt go? Did they haul it off? Normally they piled it on each side so they didn't have to dig as deep, or the dirt was used to fill sand bags. Either way I don't see any dirt piles, or sand bags so its a mystery where it went.

- Last and most importantly, think modular. Build your trenches so you can build an endless maze of them with only a few pieces. Don't worry so much about the surrounding terrain, just work on the trench walls and floor. Use dirt piles, sand bags, auto parts, tires to disguise the edge where it would blend in. That way you and the level artist don't even need to think about blending, he/she just needs to cut a trench to fit your modular piece and the blending objects sit on top of the terrain.
  • ChrisG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChrisG polycounter lvl 14
    reason for zig zags was so that if the enemy broke through they couldnt shoot in a straight line and kill everyone
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Try and snag a copy of Charlies War by Pat Mills. It's a great comic set in the trenches with painstakingly researched art by Joe Colquhoun.

bearer.jpg.w300h259.jpg

judgement.jpg.w300h702.jpg
  • DerekB525
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekB525 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the input guys. Especially Vig, I haven't had the time to put much work into it today but will get it more sanded tomorrow. Also Vig I did have a normal on that corogated metal sheet. I also had a turbosmooth on the trench itself. I've removed that and am using just the normalled metal sheet. I'll post renders tomorrow.

edit: oh and about that "extra dirt" I do plan on adding sand bag layers and also including a machine gun nest and other things as well so I didn't forget I just didn't add those.