Home General Discussion

Seeing Polygons

After spending a long time working on some 3d modeling or texturing I have these "glitches" where for a second I think I am in an app then quickly realize "WTF was i thinking.."
Here are some I can remember.

While walking along looking at the tiled floor I saw a tile cut with 5 edges and thought "I must get rid of that 5 sided poly".
When brushing my teeth, I just brushed one side of my mouth because I thought symmetry modifier was on.
While sitting down I looked down at scratch in my jeans and tried to clone tool it out in my mind.
When I Looked at the back of my new ipod I saw it was getting some scratches on it and thought "oh good the texture has got a grunge pass on it now"

So, it's pretty funny when it happens. I'm wondering has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?
Also related, do you ever catch yourself thinking about how you would model something or texture something in the environment around you?

Replies

• dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    My left hand twitches for ctl-z every time I fuck up on paper.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    I had that symmetry thing happen while I was tying my shoes before.:D! I finished up the one, and for a split-second I was surprised to see that the other one wasn't done already.

I often wake up in the middle of the night with that confusing 2/3rds-still-asleep haze in which things like rolling over or fixing my pillow are perceived to be directly related to some kind of restless 3d project.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    TheSplash wrote: »
    While walking along looking at the tiled floor I saw a tile cut with 5 edges and thought "I must get rid of that 5 sided poly".

I have had that exact thing happen to me!! At the school where I took game design we have these patterned tiles that suddenly become bigger tiles that make 5-sided edges... and it hurts to look at. I've discussed this with other people in my class, and they all admit this same thing has happened to them.

So no, you're not crazy. Or, uh.... we're all crazy. Either way... one day I'll fix those tiles...
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Let me know when you start thinking you can optimize the loops on someone's face as they walk by you. I had that happen once , and I realized I needed a break.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    hahaha too much time in front of a computer XD

The only thing i wonder how to model is what i have on the paper :)

If some day i get up, and i see myself in polygons, and all the world texeled like in a videogame... i would survive, but if i see all normalmapped and black, i would suicide myself hehehe.

If you play with the videoconsole till late, and then u go to sleep, you surely will dream with the game u were playing. It's very common to imagine those kind of things if you pass too many hours doing 3d or playing. Mental stress!

Take a break! :)
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I sometimes wish I could /ignore /kick /ban people in real life. -.-
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    my favorite was when i went to blow away eraser shavings after using the eraser in photoshop.

*wipes away debris on wacom while blowing at the monitor*
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    I once thought and twitched for the overhead map key in the grocery store because I played too much Asherons Call.

I once got caught staring at a girls fake boobs in a bar because I was modeling a girl for scarface with some big fake ones. We had a good chat afterwards :P

I often analyze peoples anatomy... legs are too short... neck is too long... shoulders too wide... oooh just perfect...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Was on a bridge a few months ago while looking down at the water below I was thinking what an awesome shader effects it had. :p
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I recently had a dream where I was modeling, woke up... and basically reviewed what I had just seen... that's when i knew it was time to take a break.

But i think all of us do these kinda things, like walking down the street and picturing edge loops on people, trying to make it look just right before you pass em. I remember one time in class (just when we got into UT3) I was noticing different perspective angles, as if I was the camera, trying to frame the perfect shot with nice spec and detail.

I wouldn't have it any other way :)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I used to get the same but when working with pixels. I often thought in pixels, how many colours I could break stuff down into. It's OK because we just got a pantone color munky at work so I really can get an rgb value off EVERYTHING! ;)

I'm always wondering how well I can break down real life things into low poly. I work with high poly and nurbs now, and funnily enough, the cyber world enters real life less and less because you start to see things for what they are.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Not work related but after completing FarCry I would sometimes get uncomfortable with eating lettuce salad. I was alerted like some guys were hiding behind the lettuce pieces lol.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    dfacto wrote: »
    My left hand twitches for ctl-z every time I fuck up on paper.

That is really the only thing that has happens to me, although I did once try to write something down on paper with my wacom pen, but that was just clumsy of me.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There's a fence at the back of a pub near here which has planks all cut from the same cross-section of wood, I keep looking at it and thinking the tiling is really obvious.

I have also thought about hitting CTRL-Z when drawing on paper, and then getting annoyed when I realise it won't work!
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    fly_soup wrote: »
    I often wake up in the middle of the night with that confusing 2/3rds-still-asleep haze in which things like rolling over or fixing my pillow are perceived to be directly related to some kind of restless 3d project.

I get exactly that! My head would be spinning with 3d related stuff, and I might actually think I'm still working on whatever project I worked on during the day. Sometimes I try weird shit like straightening out my blanket so that it's "unwrapped properly"... and even think it contributes to my current assignment. :polytwitch:

If that happens I really have to force myself out of it, get up, drink some water, clear my thoughts and then go back to sleep with the thought that unwrapping the blanket in my mind is really not going to help me finish my assignment any earlier. :poly111:
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Ha Ha! This thread is freakin hilarious - because it's true! Like dfacto and MoP said, I reach for ctrl+z whenever I screw up a sketch or drawing on paper. I think it's scary and awesome that this shit happens.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I call it the Tetris Effect. For me, it spurs from playing tetris when I was younger for hours on end. I would dream about blocks being placed together. I would walk around town and see tetris blocks. When I was in my counter-strike phase I would do a double take around corners...look once then pop out.

Now that I'm an environment artist, I've gone through the phases where I see wireframe on everything...after a long night/day of modeling. I've always looked at the environment around me and thought about how I would model and/or texture it. But, that's something that's more conscious than any of the previous.

@KP: lol, I've brushed away the invisible eraser shavings from my wacom before.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    I've been working so much lately that I think about how to model just about everything I see in real life. I'm always like "ugh, that texture is horrible" as I walk past a brick wall. Or thinking, "I could just make that with an alpha plane, there's no need to model that" when I see some small item on the ground.
  • Mr Turnip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Turnip polycounter lvl 10
    I find myself staring at brick walls, grass lawns, hedges, battered concrete or peeling paint on steel plate & wishing I had a camera cos it would make a great texture.

then I find myself critiquing the texturing on real buildings, usually things like 'That texture is so unrealistic' >.<
    Not to mention skies.. the number of times if grumbled to my girlfriend that if I were to put a sky like that in a game noone would believe it...
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    The big one for me was remembering that I don't have to Ctrl + S when drawing on paper because it has autosave enabled...
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I sometimes solve modeling 'problems', which I've been busting my brains on during the day, in my sleep, like how to unwrap a certain model and how to best arrange the maps.

It's awesome.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, after a long session of heroes of might and magic, i started seeing people as stacks of monsters,
    and wondered how much damage they could do to my army.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl-Z happens to me, normally it makes me laugh. A few times while playing games I'll reach for it,happened once when I was recaulking a sink.

I hover my hand when writing/drawing so I don't smudge, but since I've been using a tablet I've started to drag my hand more and more. I didn't realize it until I was working with charcoal again...
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I've thought the ctrl-z thing more than once while doing normal stuff. Most often I've found myself looking at a real life object imagining the wireframe.
  • kiril0t
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kiril0t polycounter lvl 12
    xaxa, all this stuff happens all the time, i love cutting up the modularity in buildings when i walk around, and i hate when i dream model. Im glad im not the only one seeing polygons. Sometimes more than other times
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    crtl Z happens quite a bit. My hands twitch when I walk about modeling with people.
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When brushing my teeth, I just brushed one side of my mouth because I thought symmetry modifier was on.
    That happened to me exactly. Thank you, I thought I was the only one :(:D

The worst thing thats happened to me was one time I hallucinated one of those "press E" things to pick up a Pepsi can on the ground, because I thought it was a blue plasma rifle or something. I was pretty tired at the time though. Still .... I worry for my mental health.
  • Slingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slingshot polycounter lvl 17
    When I am in meetings I am always looking at peoples faces and thinking of how to model them.

Ya ctrl z always when drawling or even think save file in head when it starts to look good.

All tho I always look at stuff around me and think about what I could use the textures for.

I look at things and go ooh that is the perfect color swatch.
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    "Man, I can't believe they've spent polygons to model that brick sticking out. What a waste."
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    after playing zelda for a while, sometimes I'll just go into a stranger's house and start breaking their jars.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    You know... after playing some GTA I always feel like beating some hookers to death with a baseball bat.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    dejawolf wrote: »
    hehe, after a long session of heroes of might and magic, i started seeing people as stacks of monsters,
    and wondered how much damage they could do to my army.

Zounds of Ancient Behemoths!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when i heard someone died, i always ask if he dropped any loot.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Occasionally, I'll go to the upper left-hand corner of a piece of paper, so I can open the File menu and save. When I'm at the store, or looking for something, I'll have the urge to press ctrl+f so I can find it.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    after playing zelda for a while, sometimes I'll just go into a stranger's house and start breaking their jars.
    You too, I thought I would be the only one ...
    somehow i never find jewels in the grass though :(
  • easterislandnick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easterislandnick polycounter lvl 17
    I have had dreams where I have gone to the super market and seen the level of detail pop on the customers. Not as bad as a guy I worked with who crashed his car into a tree totally sober and thought he had fixed the damage with edit mesh in Max!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    lucky me not using shortcuts^^
    i never thougt about that anytime in real life^^

lucky you being no coder, thinking about how to code how people acting, rain and stuff that happens around me drives me nuts^^

tight atm i see dead people, i think i need a nap
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    anyone else check corners after playing shooters for extended time?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    see im going the other way, my lcd is looking a bit scratched cos of all the chisle marks
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get that ctrl+z twitch when doing any sort of traditional art and I screw up.

I also find that keyboard shortcuts are so hard-wired these days that I have to think really hard about what I'm actually pressing if I have to explain it to someone else.

Along with the usual artist stuff... thinking the spec on real-life surfaces isn't behaving right or that proportions/features of people who are standing infront of me aren't anatomically correct.
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    I get the ctrl-z twitch, guess that's normal :P I had to get out of the habit of brushing away eraser crumbles when using the eraser on my Wacom :D
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I had a dream once where someone was modeling me, I literally was the model...and I started freakin' out because instead of modeling my manhood, the guy modeling me just gave me a uni-scrotum. I woke up from that one checking to make sure everything was still there.

And occasionally I'll have that cntrl-z urge. And I'll get random ass thoughts like here recently...my mother in-law was talkin' some smack and I thought to myself "....just hit the delete button."
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    hobodactyl wrote: »
    I get the ctrl-z twitch, guess that's normal :P I had to get out of the habit of brushing away eraser crumbles when using the eraser on my Wacom :D

I hear ya on those. I've also tried to blow the crumbles away.
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    I so feel for all of us with the lack of the 'ctrl+z' option. I swear I've nearly cried when I do something horrible on paper and start screaming in my head, 'ctrl+z!!! ctrl+z!!! Oh god, there isn't one in real life!!!'

Also, today was interesting... I've been playing too much Katamari. I kept looking at things like, "Yeah, I could roll that up... or that. No way, that bulidings way too big right now. It'll be awesome when I can roll it up, though." I think it'd be bad if I had really tried to roll up that fire hydrant...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    When I see people more often women I see them in shaded mode with wireframe turned on. When my girlfriend talks to me on the phone or in the car I see exactly how I need to model and unwrap things, this ends when i get in front of the computer. I have been thinking of buying a head phone with mic and work while I talk to her, but it wouldn't last long because she would get pissed the minute she realized I was not paying attention to her. :D Women. LOL. I have rubbed my screen when I think it has pencil or charcoal on the paper.

When I played GTA Vice City too much, when I was driving to work I always wanted to run the prick going 20 in the the fast lane off the road and beat him the club ( you the anti theft device) in my car. I would have to remind myself this was not the game, and get bummed out a bit. Good thing I stopped playing LOL.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've had the Wacom eraser debris syndrome a few times. Especially when I have mad sketchbook sessions.
    I look at people on the train for reference all the time, and it's really awkward when you get caught staring. Especially when its a wrinkly dude and he winks back at you.

-caseyjones
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    heh heh,

ctrl+z, yep done that.

bad one happened recently - wrote a mail (normal paper letter) address with underscores - got a good way through before I realised what I was doing wrong! That was embarassing and a bit worrying. :)

funny thread.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    I broke a glass getting a drink of water and thought about reloading the glass... sad lives we lead really. :P
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Tsk....get a plastic mug next time....
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Also related, do you ever catch yourself thinking about how you would model something or texture something in the environment around you?

I did this a lot when i started learning max, still do on occasion but the imaginary modeling is pretty much instantaneous now...i'm not wondering how to model this or that kind of shape.

Also, many times i wished for a ctlr-z key in real life! :D