Home Technical Talk

Smoothshaded view in ZBrush?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
Yeah, I'm an idiot when it comes to ZBrush, but is it possible to view the model smoothshaded? I love ZBrush's materials and with to use them for making portfolio renders. :femme:

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the most cutting-edge and revolutionary sculpting application does not have a smoothshaded view?

Oh wow.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Not happy, try mudbox , smooth shaded, and sluggish... Nice functionality huh ?

Frankly, i'm amazed how fast people can still complain even with some of the most advanced technology.

Give me the name of another app that can handle those amount of polys without too much slowdowns and in realtime.

If you really want this smooth look, go ahead buy some octo-core stations with your 64gb of ram, and enjoy your "utterly divided mesh smoothy-thing", cause that's the kind of power it would require to have a smooth shaded option with our hardware today.

Or simply go back to zb2 and enjoy your not so high BUT SMOOTHSHADEDTASTIC models.

Sorry people, anger time.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obviously having a smoothshaded view for hi-res sculpts would be unnecessary, but I'd like to apply ZBrush's materials to my lower-poly game stuff for renders and such.

And smoothshaded view in Mudbox is not that sluggish.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Subdivide it if you want smooth shaded =D

srsly though... why would you want to use zb for low poly renders over one of the studio apps where you'd have way more control over everything, from lighting to materials and camera settings?
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Then you misunderstood zbrush for a render app, it's not. If you want this kind of liberty, I suggest you to look into shader programming.

And for mudbox, i don't want to start a war but you can't honestly say it can handle THAT much polygons without becoming slow as hell. (unfortunately cause i would simply throw zbrush to bin)
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano wrote: »
    Then you misunderstood zbrush for a render app, it's not.

I am not 'misunderstanding' ZBrush. Renders might be a 'big' word, just want to make screencaps of my models with a nice material applied.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    don't get me wrong...but this sounds a little gimmicky. why not texture up your low poly models? i mean....i can understand throwing a material on a highpoly sculpt to show off your HP. but it seems to me that a lowpoly would come across much better textured.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    So the most cutting-edge and revolutionary sculpting application does not have a smoothshaded view?

Oh wow.

that's why it is so fast, it doesn't even has perspective, and a lot of other features but you can do dozens of things you can't do in other apps...
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    If you just want the shaders, I'm sure you could replicate them in your package of choice, where you would also have smooth shading, perspective, etc.
  • Popeye9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popeye9 polycounter lvl 15
    There use to be a draw smooth button under the tools pallet but it doesnt do much. As for perspective it does have that under the draw pallet or you can hit "P" hot button to activate. You can also change the focal length for the perspective.

As for use of the materials from ZBrush there is this tutorial that you might find interesting
    http://norman3d.com/blog//?p=11

Even though he is demonstrating using it in Max it can be done in other apps with mental ray.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    they call it perspective but it's mor like bending the screen, you can easily that it's no real pespective when you change some parts of the model make it bigger... or unhide subtools, let's say you have the head and the body, hide the body, the head will tranform... with a real perspective the head would stay in position and form...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but fake perspective is still better than no perspective at all :)
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    The option is actually listed in Zbrush, it just doesn't do anything.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    right, but the point is that Zbrush isn't fully 3d like most apps and although that grants better performance and freedom in certain areas, it has downsides as well.

Anyway, it's pointless to try and present your low poly models in zbrush since the matcap materials are based off of facing angles. You'd do much better to find a nice shader for whatever 3d app you're using and going with that or use the method Popeye9 mentioned.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    zbrush supports much more points and triangles on a mesh, sometimes i use 2million quads for just a face with many details, so, you wont need to see smooth shading on it, also, xnormal and turtle renders supports smooth for rendering, so you wont use it anyway.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love how outright aggressive some of you are to suggestions that your application of choice could use an extra feature. Someone calls it 'the most cutting edge' and 'revolutionary', and gets abuse for even daring to suggest it'd be nice to have smooth-shaded models.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, while it would be a nice feature, I think most of these people are just explaining why it doesn't, for technical reasons.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    alright, if you guys want smooth shaded in zbrush... heh, not a problem for me, but i hope this doesnt make it even bugged software ;) . I hope they also fix a bug when saving a tool. I found a solution for this, instead of pressing ctrl + s, you have to go to the save tool button and save from there (f... annoying).
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    That's not a bug, though. While confusing it is how it's intended to be. A tool is essentially your model, but we have to keep in mind that ZBrush is really not just a sculpt app, but a digital 2.5D illustration app. So when you do Ctrl+S it wants you to save the document, i.e. the canvas on which your digital illustration resides.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    It would be nice to see the models smoothed hehe :D

I wondered the same years ago, and knowing how harsh and abusive can be the ppl on forums (always with sad and horrible answers), i prefered not to say anything to avoid "Fanatics".

There aren't perfect programs, so Zbrush is not the exception. We live with its defects ^^ and we end loving them heh.

hum.. perspective, Zbrush is like 100% flat perspective. I have configured Max and Modo to view things without "perspective" too, totally flat, 100% cool. In that way, proportions errors when modelling are minimal if you model in "perspective view". It's something also very common when drawing, more if you don't work on a proper and angled table.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    East wrote: »
    That's not a bug, though. While confusing it is how it's intended to be. A tool is essentially your model, but we have to keep in mind that ZBrush is really not just a sculpt app, but a digital 2.5D illustration app. So when you do Ctrl+S it wants you to save the document, i.e. the canvas on which your digital illustration resides.

It´s not that, my zbrush crashes when I press Ctrl +S, and yes, you have to save your tool, not the document.
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    bugo. you gotta get and use the option in the ' subtool master ' plugin. should pretty much save you ( oh. the wit of it all ) of that headache
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    bugo wrote: »
    It´s not that, my zbrush crashes when I press Ctrl +S, and yes, you have to save your tool, not the document.
    Hehe, yeah that does sound like a bug :) Does it do that every time without exception when you hit Ctrl+S? I remember mine doing something similar with another button, and I somehow managed to fix it. Just can't remember how, so it might have been one of those things that just "fixed itself automagically"..
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    East wrote: »
    Hehe, yeah that does sound like a bug :) Does it do that every time without exception when you hit Ctrl+S?

That probably has to do with saving and not having the topmost tool in the subtool list selected. One of the features in their subtool master plug in is to automatically go to the top of the subtool list on every save anyway -- probably connected.