Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Environment Challenge - Modular Exterior Facades

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Exterior Building Facade Challenge June 28th to July 26th 2008!
by Jesse Moody & Earthquake

With the Unearthly Challenge coming up later this summer now is the perfect time for everyone to get out and hone those
environment skills. Nearly everything we do these days environment wise revolves around modular building pieces, so the skills
required to model efficient pieces that work well with each other will be key.

Often times all we really need to model is a small section of a building to add into a scene to make it really come alive. So, for this challenge,
we'll be focusing on building facades. Or, a "Hollywood" type set.

What you'll need to do:
Design/Plan out how you want your overall scene to be shot, this will give you a good idea of exactly what you need to create.

The goal here is just a simple facade, so you want to focus on creating only what will be seen in your final renders.

Model and texture all of the pieces you make to build your building facade. Weather that means windows, doors, roofs, streets, or a base thats completely up to you.

We're doing a focus on modularity here, so while someone could easily just create one large 2048 texture that has everything uniquely mapped out, thats really not what we're trying to accomplish with this.

This challenge is not a team-based challenge, you can only enter alone. However, you may team up with a concept artist who's sole roll is to help direct the scene you are creating. They cannot help beyond supplying concepts for your scene and/or props.
Challenge Specifications & Notes:
:icon_arrow: 20,000 triangles maximum. Static meshes only. No BSP

:icon_arrow: 2048x2048 Diffuse/Normals/Spec/Emissive/Parrallax You can cut these textures up any way you like, as long as they do not exceed 2048x2048 of overall texture space.

:icon_arrow: 512xm512 Texture for lightmap
Note: Most engines these days use some form of lightmapping. Generally what that means is you create a 2nd uv set for your mesh that has every piece unwrapped uniquely(you actually can do some mirroring/tiling here if you know the objects will receive the same shadows). Then you bake out an ambient occlusion/radiosity map and multiply that onto your materials.
:icon_arrow: Starts on June 28th 2008

:icon_arrow: Finishes August 2nd 2008 (Extended 1 week!!!)

:icon_arrow: Render it in whatever application or engine you're comfortable with.

:icon_arrow: YOU MUST SHOW YOUR PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT PROCESS FROM BEGINNING TO END. Lots of thought goes in to modular design and we're here to help you guys along with this. If you do not show your development process your entry will not be considered.
  • References and/or concepts
  • thought process
  • WIP shots
  • wireframe/mesh shots
  • textures
  • final renders
:icon_arrow: Beauty renders can be no wider than 1024px. They can be as tall as you need.

:icon_arrow: A simple post processing pass is allowed on your beauty render, but isn't a requirement.
  • This is limited, however, to simple effects:
    • contrast/hue/saturation
    • bloom/sharpen
    • Ambient occlusion must be baked to your lightmap if you choose to use it.
    • You may include a sky as well. This will not count as part of your tri count and will not be included into the final texture sheet.
:icon_arrow: Any art style, theme, location, or subject can be used. The contents of your challenge are completely up to you.
I'm new to this modular design malarkey, will you help me?
This challenge has two purposes - to see some kick ass environment design AND to learn about modular design in the process of being a participant. This challenge is a warm-up for the Unearthly Challenge, don't forget! We're hoping veterans and "newbies" a like will come out for this 4 week challenge so that it can be a learning or educating experience for all.

So will we help you? Damn right we'll help.
Where might I find some references for this challenge?
The internet is your friend! Google Images, Flickr, cgtextures.com, etc. are all insanely useful resources for this sort of thing.

While you're out looking, here's a few references for you guys look over and get an idea as to what we're tackling.

Modular Exterior Facade example references!
This challenge doesn't start until June 28th 2008 so start asking your questions now!

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I think you mean it ends July 26 right?

This sounds great though Adam, should be fun.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Er, right. *whistles*
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Woot! YOU'RE ALL GOING DOWN BITCHES!
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    1. What are we using the lightmap for in this challange, baking? or do we just need a second uv set with it layed out for one?

2. If we have everything right now why does it start in 3 days(I have no plans of starting right now, but just wondering whats with the wait)
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've updated the original post with notes on entering as a team and using concept artists.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Most likely so more people know about it = more competitors.

I just noticed it says June to July at the very top, but because I'm blind I missed that *whistles*
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc wrote: »
    1. What are we using the lightmap for in this challange, baking? or do we just need a second uv set with it layed out for one?

2. If we have everything right now why does it start in 3 days(I have no plans of starting right now, but just wondering whats with the wait)

1. You'll bake your ambient occlusion/radiosity into a 2nd uv set layout out all unique, this is optional of course, you don't need to have this one. You know for large scale ambient occlusion. This is usefull when you're using tiling textures and you can't bake certain things into them, you use a 2nd uv set with a multiply texture over the entire mesh.

If you're doing multiple materials(say splitting your textures into 4 1024s) You have two options basically, you can unwrap everything onto 1 512 and apply that same LM to all peices, or you could unwrap each of those parts into 4 256x256 maps, or whatever size you think appropriate, as long as in total it doesn't exceed 512x512.

2. We just want to give everyone a little time to realize that we're running another contest. Everyone is welcome to start threads and start planing etc. Just no actual modeling until saturday!! =)
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the dumb question, I'm newer to light maps...

Are you basically baking out an AO? or is there actually an option to bake out a light map?

Again, sorry for the dumb question :(
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you can bake out a LM in whichever program you feel comfortable using.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So is AO the same as a Light Map?

Thanks EQ :)
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We used "lightmaps" to bake the shadows in UE3, so I guess it can be used for that or just AO.

Was just wondering what we could use it for in the comp, so looks like anything relating to lighting for a light map goes.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO is not the same thing as LM, as far as rendering terms go, a light map can also include directional lighting etc. Whereas AO is generally just ambient(non directional) shadows. Thats not saying that you couldn't use a simple AO bake for your lm texture, thats what i will be doing most likely.

Really you can do whatever you like with this texture, generate it however you want with whatever you want, bake simple ao, bake complicated directional lighting. Its all fine, as long as in the end its 512x512 or smaller, and multiplied onto your model =)

Murdoc: Yeah you could even simply do your second uv channel, and then import it into UE3 to generate the lm/lighting. Thats well within the rules. =)
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Ambient Occlusion is just a lightmap with neutralized non-directional lighting.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lightmap = texture of nothing but lighting in the scene, in a very simple form, simply AO will suffice, but if you have lights in the scen, those could also be baked into the same map to provide coloration on different areas of your scene.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Just remember that if you do the light maps in unreal that you aren't using crazy settings and the whole map adds up to a single 512x512
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wait, if post effects can be applied to the beauty render, why would I unwrap twice and not just do a AO post effect?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    AO is something that can be baked to a light map.

Lightmap does NOT = AO.

It's true that games today are doing AO as a fullscreen 'post process' effect. However, because this is an exercise in environment creation your AO, if you choose to use it, must be baked to your lightmap.

Any post processing you do must be by way of simple contrast/saturation/hue adjustments.

I will update the specs.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, this will be awesome.
    In every terms possible. The learning will be great.
    And you can all thank me for inspiring EQ for this comp! ZING
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    ooooooooo i shall reshuffle my priorities and try to do something for this!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    So are we supposed to include the surrounding area of the building as part of the set (like sidewalks, street lamps, etc) or just what would be part of the building itself? And should the final render include a skybox/dome, and if so, does that count towards the 2048?

Also, do all the parts need to be static meshes, or is it cool to use brushes for some of the walls/ground/etc? And if so, do the brushes count towards the 20,000?
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd expect that to be up to you Fly Soup. I will probably start (and concentrate) on the building itself, but if I have extra UV space somewhere, and extra polys, I'll throw in some extra crap
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fly_soup wrote: »
    So are we supposed to include the surrounding area of the building as part of the set (like sidewalks, street lamps, etc) or just what would be part of the building itself? And should the final render include a skybox/dome, and if so, does that count towards the 2048?

Also, do all the parts need to be static meshes, or is it cool to use brushes for some of the walls/ground/etc? And if so, do the brushes count towards the 20,000?

You should include everything you plan on showing in the set, it all counts toward the budget. As far as skys etc, i think you can use a sky in your final shot only, i would say that wouldn't count against your budget. Should also be ok for someone to add a sky in post as well. Everyone has any reason to disagree with that let me know.

I would say everything should be a mesh and not bsp. Just for simplicity sake and to keep everyone on level ground here. Besides, isnt that sort of counter-productive to creating modular meshes? I really dont know i guess, i dont deal with bsp so if anyone has an opinion on that as well post too please.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright i got permission to show off a simple asset, this is a modular bridge peice, i made a couple middle tiling pieces so that i could extend the bridge as far as i wanted, but just adding in more center bits. I just use a couple tiling textures, and then shift around their uvs to get extra variation. But what i really wanted to show was an example of one way to use a lightmap. Top shot is without the lm applied and bottom is with.

bridgelmcn6.jpg
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the great info EQ and Murdoc!
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice bridge EQ
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Do we 'have'to make a lightmap for this? I'd rather create something that looks good with realtime lighting than bother creating a lightmap. Making lightmap uvs by hand should seriously be a thing of the past by now :(.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Nah, you don't. I believe it states that its something you can choose to do or not do.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, very cool, and the timing is PERFECT! Just having my last exam today, you can totally count me in :)
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    Peris wrote: »
    Do we 'have'to make a lightmap for this? I'd rather create something that looks good with realtime lighting than bother creating a lightmap.

ehh its little to no additional effort compared to creating a hipoly/sculp, lowpoly mesh, baking texturing etc... and it will look much nice with it anyways ;)
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    imo it's extra robot-work that i don't want to bother with. And i'm used to lightmap uvs getting created for me automatically in the engine =).
  • kio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 16
    hehe nobody stops you from using an auto unwrap/ uv packing from maya/max :D
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    Do we 'have'to make a lightmap for this? I'd rather create something that looks good with realtime lighting than bother creating a lightmap. Making lightmap uvs by hand should seriously be a thing of the past by now :(.
    you multiply the lightmap or use it as an ambient light, it's not replacing your realtime lights...

that's just some blockout for airborn, but you can see, that the fg and ao of the lightmap, plugged into the ambient channel helps a little bit ;)

left: 1 directional and one ambient light
    right:1 directional and one lightmap

[img]http://nonpublic.airbørn.de/wip/katzeimsack/env/fg_ao.jpg[/img]
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    just a quick question for EQ for he bridge did you just use crazybump to generate the normal?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So a facade. Thats the front face of a building, right? Is that what you mean in this context?
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackblade, yup that's what we're talking about.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    you multiply the lightmap or use it as an ambient light, it's not replacing your realtime lights...

that's just some blockout for airborn, but you can see, that the fg and ao of the lightmap, plugged into the ambient channel helps a little bit ;)

left: 1 directional and one ambient light
    right:1 directional and one lightmap

[img]http://nonpublic.airbørn.de/wip/katzeimsack/env/fg_ao.jpg[/img]

yeah i know, but i just don't want to bother with rendering anything, and since you can these days get pretty great similar lighting as your right pic with only real time lighting using real time ambient occlusion and a bunch of good omni light placement, it feels like a wasted effort to make a light map =). And theres also vertex colors you can use to get some more ambient lighting in your mesh, which should look great as wel if we can have 20k tris anyways.

But anyways, I'll probaby go with unreal3 and have it generate my light map automatically if i think its necessary anyways :p
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was asked earlier about a sky.

A sky doesn't have to be included in your final shot but you should do it. It does not count as part of the 2048 or as part of the tri counts so it will only help make your scene feel more real.

As for light maps. That is totally up to you what you guys want to do. I say they really benefit the scenes but if you don't want to do a light map pass thats ok.

Can we use bsp?

Sorry but for this challenge it will be statics only. No bsp.

Keep asking those questions. This challenge will begin shortly.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i know, but i just don't want to bother with rendering anything, and since you can these days get pretty great similar lighting as your right pic with only real time lighting using real time ambient occlusion and a bunch of good omni light placement, it feels like a wasted effort to make a light map =). And theres also vertex colors you can use to get some more ambient lighting in your mesh, which should look great as wel if we can have 20k tris anyways.

But anyways, I'll probaby go with unreal3 and have it generate my light map automatically if i think its necessary anyways :p

Dynamic lighting tends to look pretty bad without any sort of AO/LM. So i would say you'll definitely want to do this, but its not required. Also i think using any sort of GI solution in max such as mental ray etc shouldn't be allowed, since we're giving texture space specifically for this(just for the sake of sticking with actual game practices here). But of course using UE3 etc, really any game engine that calculates a LM for you is fine, just as long as its less than 512.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Cool challenge. Like others though, I'm still fairly new to this whole lightmap thing. Could someone maybe do a workflow breakdown for creating a lightmap?
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    1. finish models
    2. create second uv set
    3. uv everything without any overplapping on the 2nd uv set
    4. bake AO on 2nd uv set
    5. multiply baked map over the colormap

for fg maps or gi maps you need to set lights and a skycube first and then just bake the gi without the directional light (in maya batchbake, option: gi only)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    could it maybe be changed to a 128x128 and 5 polygons pleeez?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could it maybe be changed to a 128x128 and 5 polygons pleeez?

Ahh no.

We are hoping this will catch a lot of peoples eyes and help everyone get ready for the big challenge at the end of summer. This will be an amazing learning experience for everyone and I think a lot of people could really benefit from these types of challenges and projects. So start thinking up some ideas.

Adam has already begun his little plan thread. He has a story and idea going. I hope to see more popping up soon.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy wrote: »
    just a quick question for EQ for he bridge did you just use crazybump to generate the normal?

Yeah CB to generate normals/height map for parrallax.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    This is great. Motivation is what I need and this provides it big time!

One quick thing, I understand how lightmaps work and stuff in UE3. But where in the max material area do I set a lightmap (second set of uvs) to multiply it over top of my original textures/materials. Bit of a noob question I guess, but I've never used lightmaps outside of ue3.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i guess that a DX material that could receive a AO on a second Uv channel should work. If not, maybe just apply the lightmap on the self ilumination slot and set the uvchannel to number 2.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Light maps are just shadows so I'd just multiply blend it in the material... pretty sure that's how it would be done.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    i guess that a DX material that could receive a AO on a second Uv channel should work. If not, maybe just apply the lightmap on the self ilumination slot and set the uvchannel to number 2.

Ahh good point bitmap. Yes there are a few dx materials in max that allow you to apply materials to different uv sets.

Essentially this may be the easiest way to do this in max.

Thanks for bringing that up.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do we need to make the ground under it? (noticed in EQ's thread he is) or can we just stick to the side of the building?