Max 2008 Flatten mapping. Wtf...seriously

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
Create a box.

Convert to Editable Poly.

Add an Unwrap UVW to it.

Select all the faces, and use Mapping > Flatten Mapping.

Smash face.

The reason for the face smashing is because 2008 now DE-selects all of the faces that you just flatten mapped, whereas before, anytime you would flatten map, it would DO the flattening, but keep the selection you just made.

Is there any way to fix this? I'm aware of the 5 different hacks and workarounds, but plain and simple - When I flatten map my face selection, I want to KEEP the damn selection.

Nothing brings my piss to a boil more than working on element selections or a large group of selections and using a quick flatten map, only to have it de-select all those faces and flatten it all over my UVW layout.

It's a stupid new feature that essentially renders Flatten Mapping pointless on an object with existing UVs.

Anyone know how to shut this shit off?

Thanks!

Replies

• kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Weird that it works that way.

I imagine this is in the 5 different hacks you've already been using, but: Could you move your existing cords by 1 in a direction, and then use the default unwrap area as a worksurface? Then just move everything back with -1 in the end? Irritating, but at least that way the flattened stuff is just one box selection.

Hopefully someone has a proper way to change that.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Err, yeh, weird...
    A rapid solution to the problem would be to designate an id (set id) for those particular faces, give them a texture or lastly make a selection set. That way you can always recall a selection even when max tries to fart on you this way. I would personally go with no 1, you shouldn't lose the selection if you delete the uv unwrap/collapse and then go back into sub-object mode and select faces, the uv selection should still be there... I hope.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UV selection sets do not survive a collapsed stack, IIRC.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Don,

Stop by, I've got a quick UV shift script I use that will move your selected UV's in one direction or another so that you can bake out normal maps, AO maps, or in your case, quickly select flattened UV's and then re-shift you're other UV's back to the 0,1 space.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    You could always write a quick script that gets the current selection, does a Flatten action, then re-selects the original selection.
    Or was that one of the 5 workarounds?
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Tell Autodesk. There's a fair chance it's a bug, rather than a feature (I can't imagine how something that stupid is a feature). Chances of them fixing it are low, but unless you ask you'll never know. I'd recomend not using the words Stupid, Dumb or Fuckwit in the message though. ;)

If you work for a reasonably sized company get a list together of other things that boil piss and get a high honcho to submit the list. They're more likwly to listen to a company that buys 100 copies than one guy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You work at High Moon? Your Technical Director Randy Stebbing, does seminars for Autodesk, he's in pretty tight with some of the guys over there. Make sure he knows. When he talks, they listen.

More then likely he'll write you a script (or have someone else with 5min do it) to fix it for now. As well as pass it along to the people who have a say in getting it changed. You're lucky to have such a guy in your staff.

Not every place is as lucky to have someone with E.F. Hutton powers.