Home Technical Talk

Maya 2009 polycount wishlist

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
Sincerely, as a game developer I see alot of things that Maya could add because its very important to have these features (forgive me if there is, but i couldnt find).

- choose zbuffer drawing order on each object (or other solution that could solve transparency problems)
- high quality rendering supporting cosine power map (gloss), could be in specular alpha or a new node.
- Faster HQR mode.
- Vertex alpha paiting for texture blending.

Replies

• alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    my wishlist for Maya 2009 is basically everything that the Nex plugin has

I also want the old compass thing back and throw the new Viewcube in the garbage
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Alexk: Extension3 for maya2008 has most of the Nex features. Actually, I saw some demos of it at GDC and was completly floored by how much of a blatant rip off of Nex it was. Don't think the Autodesk employees appreciated me pointing that out either :p
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, tools is tools. There's only so many ways you can make a "connect" or "target weld" work... you might as well say NEX is ripping off Max.

I don't think there's any such thing as "ripping off" when it comes to tools. There's just an optimal way to do things given the current setup of a program and input devices, and many different people coming to the same conclusion is no bad thing.

Obviously it would be "ripping off" if they just directly stole the source code, but I somehow doubt that :)

Regarding stuff I'd want to see in Maya 2009:
    - A DirectX viewport mode, or an OpenGL mode that isn't horribly broken on consumer NVidia cards.
    - Basically everything on the list at www.ireallyhatemaya.com (except for the "resizing hypershade window" thing, that doesn't happen to me, maybe he was using an older version than 2008). Everything else on that site, I 100% agree with though.
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    hmm. interesting site. Although, some of it seems like he doesn't fully understand the software very well. His comment on the merge tool is wrong. you can just throw a merge on some verts, then go into the inputs and change the value in there. maybe its not as clean, but if you were to highlight the distance attribute, and middle mouse drag in the viewport, bam, realtime merge results.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Animatr: Yeah, the point is that while the functionality is there (real-time results when dragging a spinner), the workflow is pretty backwards. You should be able to preview stuff before you commit to it - basically the dragging thing should take place while you're in the tool options before you apply it, rather than having to go back into the inputs and tweak it there. It's just one less step.

I think Funky Bunnies actually wrote a MEL script to make it behave like that, was posted in my Maya 2008 questions thread. So it is possible to set it up to work in a more efficient manner.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    alexk wrote: »
    my wishlist for Maya 2009 is basically everything that the Nex plugin has

I also want the old compass thing back and throw the new Viewcube in the garbage

100% yes, all the freaking way...
    bugo wrote: »
    Sincerely, as a game developer I see alot of things that Maya could add because its very important to have these features (forgive me if there is, but i couldnt find).

- choose zbuffer drawing order on each object (or other solution that could solve transparency problems)
    - high quality rendering supporting cosine power map (gloss), could be in specular alpha or a new node.
    - Faster HQR mode.
    - Vertex alpha paiting for texture blending.

1) Only if its an option that can be ticked on and off
    2) Gloss maps are already included
    3) Better computer = Faster HQR mode
    4) Yes

Also, yes to all the preview stuff MoP mentioned. I would like certain things to no longer be a mental exercise in precognition, thank you very much Autodesk...
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Illusions wrote: »

1) Only if its an option that can be ticked on and off
    2) Gloss maps are already included
    3) Better computer = Faster HQR mode
    4) Yes

1) yes, that would be much better.
    2) dont seem to work in HQR
    3) thats true, but i have a good computer for that, thats im sure.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    20 - "When editing geometry in a subobject mode, it is very easy to select other meshes by accident. This can be very annyoing when trying to work on a specifc piece of geometry and you keep selecting the geometry behind what you are working on by accident. This behavior is also problematic when you want to clear your selection: Normally this is done by clicking off your current mesh - but what if your screen is full with other geometry?"

I totaly dissagree with this one, and thats the good feature in Maya, you can select other objects until you are editing an object. Also I think that this is a Max guy who made this one, we need to teach him how to use isolate object. I have my isolate function in a custom marking menu, also "freeze selected". I think he´s trying to bring all Max functions to Maya, maybe why not trying to bring XSI, MAX, Modo, Silo to Maya, wouldnt that be easy? heh. Forgeting the bugs, some of the things in the list have their solutions, and some are because a Max user went listing this because he just wanted to. If i had time I would make my I hate Max list too... but yes half of the list would be much better to have, specialy that bevel one.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    on http://www.ireallyhatemaya.com/

They forgotten to speak about the manipulator axis, you can't selection a vertex or edge behinf the axis X, Y or Z >__<... and you can do it in 3dsmax...
    and other thing, when you click many time one the same face, vertex or edge, and there are lot of other faces, vertexs or edges, you cannot selection it... you have to move the stupid camera... and same... 3dsmax can do it.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Hooking maps into cosine power works just fine for me.

Create a map, make the colour be the power. When hooking it up, default drag'n'drop will hook in the alpha, which won't work. Manually connect your r channel to the cosine power.

If it still doesn't work, your card is crap.

I've never had any speed problems with the HQ renderer, unless i have 10~20 2k maps loaded, but that would be expected!
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about instead of Maya mirroring Nex functionality, it just comes with a coupon to purchase Nex? I shudder at Autodesk half-assed replacing the functionality of excellent plug-ins that would reduce the demand and sales for those plug-ins... instead, they should focus on bug fixing and stability to help the plugin developers. But that is coming from a tech guy.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh also, some things I want:

1) A better implementation of Set Driven Key: Give us the option to make a self contained animation block for numerous different attributes across any number of objects, just like set driven key can currently with a few attributes. Make this block a node, that way it can be controlled by other attributes, or linked with other nodes (such as the blender node, or the filter node)

2) Group keyframes. I want to group keyframes...why? Because on certain animations I have objects that are keyframed to animate in concert, and quite often I will have to move things around, change the pace of this animation, or delete it entirely. It would be nice if I could just select a group node in the outliner and do that...

3) More utility nodes, and hypershade nodes.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    one other thing, and I'm not sure if it's just me and not knowing how to do it but from what I've seen in Max3d.. you can adjust your primitive's attributes like subdivisions in a cylinder even after you make some changes to it. Like say I added a bevel to the tops, and decided I want fewer subdivisions, I've seen Max videos where you can adjust it and the bevel stays intact. Whenever I try to do anything like that in Maya, it goes all nuts
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    Illusions wrote: »
    2) Group keyframes. I want to group keyframes...why? Because on certain animations I have objects that are keyframed to animate in concert, and quite often I will have to move things around, change the pace of this animation, or delete it entirely. It would be nice if I could just select a group node in the outliner and do that...

Sounds like Character sets?
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkullboX polycounter lvl 18
    Visibility transfers down the hierarchy chain. This makes hiding parts of a rig and not other parts very difficult.
    This can be done by adding the Shapes, rather than the transform objects to the display layer.
    When naming a layer, Maya gives the error: "An object by the name "<object name here>" already exists. Enter a different name." Except the only other thing in my scene with this name is a material. Why can't materials and layers have the same name? Why can't objects and layers have the same name? Every other package allows this. Layers are just for scene organization, there is no reason why they should share a namespace with scene elements.
    Indeed somebody who should continue to use his more trusted software. The reason this can't be done is the very strength maya has.

It's sometimes annoying that maya is lacking in the tools department compared to max. I'm pretty sure Maya doesnt even have a decent push or shell modifier equivalent (please point me to it if I'm wrong!). The problem I think is that former Alias never implanted anything until if could be made to work with the rest of the system, in the same way. Perhaps that doesn't explain why the target weld has been abesent for all these years, but might be why maya doesn't offer some kind of corrective blendshape interface like max' skin morpher.

I do like to see the reference system become a bit more solid. Right now it isn't possible to reference a scene with a proxied reference in it (like a character, or anything else that needs to be animated) and keep the animation ('shared edits') when switching from and to proxies. Since because of this all the seperate animation files essentially had to be 'unique' for at least as far as all objects that had to be animated were concerned. Everytime there was a new object that had to be added we had to do it with update scripts so that the consistency over all files would remain the same. This wasn't hard, but it is annoying when you have 4 people working on the same scene, and during production new objects requiring animation had to be added to the animation scenes.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    nice thread guys, I hope someone from Autodesk see this.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    a way to bind "color in shaded display" to a key...

anyone know how to do it please let me know :)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    motives, you mean vertexColor in viewport?
    Pretty easy to write a MEL script to do that, on a User hotkey. I made a shelf button to do that.

Oh, and regarding wishlists for Maya, fixing the bloody layer manager would be nice. It's the most hilariously bad implementation of a system I've ever seen. You can't just slow double click to rename a layer, you have to actually go into a popup window, type the name, and instead of hitting Enter, you HAVE to click "OK". I'm pretty sure they couldn't have come up with a slower way of naming layers if they'd been actively trying.
    It's clear they know a good solution for renaming, just look at the Outliner. Why can't they use the same method in the Layer manager?

And regarding not being able to name Layers the same as any other node in the scene, where is the possible "strength" in that, Skullbox? It's a limitation. If you wanted to control something via script, you could check its name first, then check to see what sort of object type it is... or only check a certain type of node for a name match. There shouldn't be any conflicts there. It's ridiculous that if I call a layer "highpoly" then I can't call a material "highpoly". They're completely different systems that are treated in totally different ways.
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 19
    Serious improvements in the poly modelling tools or i may really switch totally over to
    Modo aaaaaannnnnnd performance, performance and performance !
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    MoP wrote: »
    ...... - A DirectX viewport mode, or an OpenGL mode that isn't horribly broken on consumer NVidia cards.....

As long as they fix that I could care less about everything else, I've been working in Max at home just to get my fix because my 8800GTX uber card sucks with Maya. AWESOMENESS!! :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about viewport speed and poly modeling tools. The lack of previewing is horrible. Nex is great at adding in basic functionality like previewing and modeling tools but only goes so far. Honestly I would rather just buy and use Silo then deal with Maya or Max when it comes to modeling.

Contextually sensitive hot keys that the user can bind. They have a few built into Maya but if I write a script I have to assign separate hot keys, pretty annoying.

The whole hide/select bones thing is annoying but I'm glad to hear it can be worked around.

Above all bump up DirectX support, I wouldn't mind seeing some specific viewport drivers written like they did for 3dsmax and the Quadro cards.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And regarding not being able to name Layers the same as any other node in the scene, where is the possible "strength" in that, Skullbox? It's a limitation. If you wanted to control something via script, you could check its name first, then check to see what sort of object type it is... or only check a certain type of node for a name match. There shouldn't be any conflicts there. It's ridiculous that if I call a layer "highpoly" then I can't call a material "highpoly". They're completely different systems that are treated in totally different ways.

Actually they're both treated the same and are part of the same system. There's nothing from stopping you using a material or a layer to control a rig. While that might be rare, many of the 'hypershade nodes' are often used to create rig controls. In this tutorial to create a stretchy spline IK, the author uses a Multiply/Divide, a BlendColor and a Condition Node (all created from the hypershade) and to top it off links the amount of stretch to a material that turns from green to red when there's too much stretching.

Obviously I don't think layer nodes will be an integral part of a rig or shading network very often. But when importing/referencing any model any layer is treated like a normal node attached to the object you're importing or referencing and all the connections remain, even if you change the names of the objects on import.

It's just not like Max in that way, which combines seperate indepedent systems. A polygon object, a material, a joint or a layer are all simply nodes with attributes that can be linked freely using connections, expressions or constraints. If they were all called MoP, all but the material would for example have MoP.visbility. How is maya supposed to know which you're adressing in an expression?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Fair enough, SkullboX :)
    I can see why it might not be desired to be able to have multiple names for different node types.

That still doesn't explain why Maya's interface for managing Layers was spawned in hell though! :)

Oh, and those << | >> buttons for controlling column width ... GREAT IDEA
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for DirectX support, I was thinking about this yesterday, and I really don't think its going to happen. Maya is designed to run on the Mac OS, and various versions of Linux, in addition to Windows, of which the other two aren't things that the Microsoft proprietary DirectX format are friendly with...hence why they use openGL exclusively...

Also @ MoP: To overcome the naming convention, make the names unique according to what you're labeling. So if I have two things I want to call 'plastic', and one of them is geometry and the other is a shader, I would call them: plastic_Geo and plastic_Shader. But yeah, what Skullbox said. On things I've set up I've had attributes on a control object controlling expressions using hypershade nodes to generate values for other attributes on other objects.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I believe this thread is more wishlist for new features, and not change Maya at all, as all Maya users like the old interface or are used to somethings and know the reasons to exist.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    more transparency please: additive, multiplicative and multx2 blending support =)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    bugo wrote: »
    I believe this thread is more wishlist for new features, and not change Maya at all, as all Maya users like the old interface or are used to somethings and know the reasons to exist.

Bugo, heh, so you actually find these buttons useful, and wouldn't want to change them to a proper interactive smooth draggable column separator (like the viewport separators) ?

Because that's what I'm talking about, and it's part of my wishlist. Unless there's a special reason that these stupid buttons exist, and oldschool Maya users love them? Because to me they seem slow, outdated and unnecessary. :)

maya_stupid_buttons.jpg

It's not only these, but general UI inconsistencies and poor workflows in general, like what I mentioned about the Layer palette being unable to rename on a double click. It's not like double-click on a layer is being used for anything else, so make it do something useful!

And I think most sensible Maya users will agree, that this sort of workflow improvement would be good for speed and ease of use. There's no need to overcomplicate things. So yeah, I think it's a decent request for a wishlist. I would like Maya a lot more if it didn't feel like its UI design was finalised in 1995.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly, I can't think of any excuse why there are still UI problems. AFAIK the entire UI is implemented in MEL, it would not be hard to fix it. The reason is probably (as the answer to all the 'why don't they update this!' questions is) because of backwards compatibility. It may be doing something very stupid and inexcusable that they can't turn it into a much more reasonable and faster drag bar, but I am just guessing. Either way, all those stupid >> and << buttons really need to be replaced.

I think you will see more DX support as Autodesk pushes game studios towards Maya, I wouldn't be suprised if there is a major support/overhaul of it in the next release or two. It is really something they need to add if they want to have as strong a games pipeline as they have for other things.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That still doesn't explain why Maya's interface for managing Layers was spawned in hell though! :)

Oh, and those << | >> buttons for controlling column width ... GREAT IDEA

Most of maya's menu's and editors are indeed really poor, save for the graph editor and hypergraph. I also like how none of the menus, shelves and viewports align in any way that makes sense. It's kind of like an old city centre, where all the houses look different and are build wherever there was room. Which has its charms. :P
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    People have been suggesting a Maya UI Overhaul for ages, one of these suggestions was actually pretty damn awesome. It's from 2004, so you see how much AliasDesk cared about that so far ;).

Still online at :
    http://www.pixtur.de/text_maya_redesign.ger.html
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    wow, awesome! :D
    I want a maya like this !
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb wrote: »
    People have been suggesting a Maya UI Overhaul for ages, one of these suggestions was actually pretty damn awesome. It's from 2004, so you see how much AliasDesk cared about that so far ;).

Still online at :
    That would be sweet. :D

edit: Then they should give you the possibility to use the same full screen tab system on secondary monitors as well.

I forgot, maya still needs camera mattes to mask everything outside the camera's renderable area.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Bugo, heh, so you actually find these buttons useful, and wouldn't want to change them to a proper interactive smooth draggable column separator (like the viewport separators) ?

About that you are right, sorry. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb wrote: »

Still online at :
    wow, why haven't they done this? If its all about legacy, then give the dinosaurs the option to revert back to "broken".

Skullbox, The old city charm is awesome... in architecture...
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Honestly, I can't think of any excuse why there are still UI problems. AFAIK the entire UI is implemented in MEL, it would not be hard to fix it. The reason is probably (as the answer to all the 'why don't they update this!' questions is) because of backwards compatibility. It may be doing something very stupid and inexcusable that they can't turn it into a much more reasonable and faster drag bar, but I am just guessing. Either way, all those stupid >> and << buttons really need to be replaced.

I think you will see more DX support as Autodesk pushes game studios towards Maya, I wouldn't be suprised if there is a major support/overhaul of it in the next release or two. It is really something they need to add if they want to have as strong a games pipeline as they have for other things.

yeah I was thinking about this so I went in and edited one of the init files to test out something more intuitive. all I've got's a slider going on, but it's already so much nicer. it's really ugly, though because it's constantly refreshing the modeling pane and channelbox while you slide :(.
    It could just update after you release the slider and there wouldn't be that problem, but that loses the interactivity.

Anyway, with the way they're doing things, just grabbing the side of the viewport would take a lot of work, so they're probably just too lazy to fix it haha. Maybe I'll look into it more at some point.

FBchannelLayers.gif

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to release any of autodesk's init files, though - edited or not haha. So PM me if you want it, I guess. and I can "tell you how to edit it" ;)
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is probably painfully obvious to anyone using Maya 2008 Extension 2, but make Multi mode work in subdivision approximation mode (3). Having the multi-selection added into Extension 2 was awesome, but the fact that it only works in low-poly is so damn annoying.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, it would be an AWESOME wishlist item if they can make the highquality display (sub-d approximation) actually work the same way as using Mesh -> Smooth... since then you could actually export or render meshes with just the sub-d approximation enabled, without having to actually go in and add Smooth to them, render, then delete Smooth from the history to continue working. Just seems like a pointless extra step, Maya clearly already has the subdivided polygon information, it just doesn't know how to use it anywhere outside the viewport...
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH, and remove the 'feature' where you can select faces/verts/edges BEHIND the one you want to select. You have no idea how often time is wasted on fixing up my damn selections when I accidentally pick up edges under the surface I'm clicking on and I don't realize it.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah that always pisses me off, because they're one step away from a nice feature.

You can go to window->rendering editors->mentalray->approximation editor
    and turn on subdivision approximation for the selected objects, but that's extremely inconvenient :(

My biggest overall requests would probably be 'edge constraints', vertex weld, and better soft selection, I think. I'd be happy if they gave us all coupons for NEX haha
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    pretty sure edge constraint is in there since the 2008 release. no idea how well it actually works tho, never really used it aside from quick testing.

a port of the NEX toolset into maya native would be good for a start - you shouldn't have to get a commercial plugin that is not available for all platforms/releases in the first place to escape 1996-style modelling paradigms.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Mop I found the tool again! To export smoothpreviewed meshes (the smooth settings can be increased per-object in the ctrl-a window btw) go to :
    modify>convert>smoothpreview to polygons.
    You will have to export then undo, but at least its waaaay better than the the broken 'smooth' node. I am sure some smart person could easily create a one-click button for convert+export+undo!
    Might also want to triangulate before export too.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    You can go to window->rendering editors->mentalray->approximation editor
    and turn on subdivision approximation for the selected objects, but that's extremely inconvenient :(

Yes, thats how I do aswell, but as in turtle, you could just have an attribute (subdiv enable)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Ow another thing that they could really add is optimization and compatibility with new geforces. Not everyone that can buy a Quadro.
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp wrote: »
    pretty sure edge constraint is in there since the 2008 release. no idea how well it actually works tho, never really used it aside from quick testing.

whoa, really? any chance you got a link?
    I know you can C+drag to drag a vert along one of the connected edges, but a mass move along edges... there's not really anything that does this - although you can slide edges. Is that what you mean?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I think he means Slide Edge, but that's not really the same.

Oh, I'd love to be able to scale multiple separate selections around their local centers (rather than the average centre of all elements).
  • SUNCHIRP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick workaround for that is to create clusters, Paul, pain in the behind to do that, but at least it works. Each cluster can then be scaled, etc from the clusters own pivot.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its still not anywhere close 3dsmax's pivot system. Its something I really really miss when I jump over to Maya.

HOWEVER the latest version of maya did upgrade the gizmo/pivot system, big congrats on that, but they need to keep going. It now can align to the average of the selection, or to a face. MoP broke down the 3dsmax pivot system and covered most of the useful features.

Maya has started to close the gap but currently the latest update as cool as it is only covers the two options in the lower right column.
    Nah, I know what Vig means by the pivot options, I'm gonna assemble a quick image to show all the Max options for pivot points. There's about 8x as many options as Maya gives.

Edit: Here's a quick rundown of the Max pivot options. Maya seriously lacks in most of these. For example, it is possible to align your Move axis orientation to a face, but that requires a manual menu operation for EVERY TIME you want to align to a new face. Max does this automatically.

max_pivots.jpg

Most Maya users don't ever complain about the pivot system because they've never bothered to really use the one in 3dsmax. You never miss what you never knew you had. But once you know its there, its like someone takes 3 of your toes and wants you to run.

I really hope they continue in this tread and find ways to include the other features. They might think they're small and trivial and not as cool as Cloth or dynamics but damn it they're useful and I'd love to have the best features from all apps in every app I use, especially when they all come from the same company.
  • SkullboX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with the pivot changes.

Worse even is that in pivot relocation mode (or whatever it's called, what you get when you press insert) you van only transform relative to the world, no other axis at all.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    OH, and remove the 'feature' where you can select faces/verts/edges BEHIND the one you want to select. You have no idea how often time is wasted on fixing up my damn selections when I accidentally pick up edges under the surface I'm clicking on and I don't realize it.
    Face, verts, edges and entire freaking objects. I can deal with the rest but the fact that Maya prioritises selecting unrelated objects over vertex faces on the object you currently have selection drives me to distraction.

On that note, vertex lighting has a lot of issues which need to be ironed out. Vertex faces setup is particularly horrible and often bogs down a powerful machine with even quite low poly objects. I'm working on DS games for christ sake.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    motives, you mean vertexColor in viewport?
    Pretty easy to write a MEL script to do that, on a User hotkey. I made a shelf button to do that.

yea, but i cant find/output the command for it so i dont have anything to use as a toggle :)

what u use?

edit: argh, maybe i should look for more than 20 secs.. "toggleShadeMode;" for anyone intrested.

:p