Home General Discussion

Mobile phone games

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
It feels like this is the wrong forum to post about this due to the lack of interest or discussion about this topic in any of the forums, and not just on Polycount but also GameArtisans and Game Artists.net.
Do you consider mobile phone games as part of "the games industry"? I did a bit of research into the current state of mobile phone games and I saw a lot of big franchises; metal gear, resident evil, final fantasy, devil may cry and of course all those movie titles like hulk and iron man just to name a few.

Most of the games used 2D sprites and looked terrible (especially resident evil). The skillset required to make 2D art and stuff is very different from the skills required for "next gen" assets so I'm wondering if this is a valuable experience in the first place. Metal gear solid looked quite promising though, it was 3D and reminded me of the PS1 metal gear.

Would you recommend to someone who wanted to break into the games industry to start in a mobile phone games company? Is this a work experience that other game companies would consider as useful? I see in a lot of job postings that employers are looking for experience creating AAA titles and I dont think that any mobile phone games can be classed as a AAA title.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It can be rewarding work, if you like challenges. We looked into doing a mobile title recently, but ducked out after some research, the hardware didn't allow us to do what we wanted to.

But it looks like fun to me, there's definitely a bunch of fun to be had in what's now classified as "old-school."

Trouble is, you could get type-cast with the portfolio you'll develop. However you could keep up-to-date with AAA-class techniques on your own time... ZBrush, Modo, and the like.

Mobiles are definitely part of game dev, just not as sexy as high-res for the kids these days. Like character work vs. enviro work. But rest assured all the cool workaround techniques and general problem-solving will come in handy no matter what kind of work you want to move into later. Those skillsets/proclivities are in top demand.
  • midorisabato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Yozora, mobile phone games are part of the games industry. For someone trying to get a start in the industry I'd say keep your options open. If you can get a start in mobile games and the job is good/fun then take it, you can always change jobs later. Keep in mind that if your ultimate goal is to work on a AAA next gen game your portfolio is what will get you there. Mobile phone games do for the most part use 2D sprites as you say, and experience at on a phone game would probably prove more valuable trying to move to a company working on a Nintendo DS title rather than a AAA next gen game. Just my 2 cents...