Home Technical Talk

Memory Ram

So i have 2 dims of CORSAIR 2GB PC2-6400C4 XM2 DOMINATOR SLI READY and im thinking of getting some new ram. Im thinking of buying this ones: G SKILL DDR2 PC2-6400 4GB PQ SERIES DUAL CHANNEL (2x2GB) 4 GB PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) 5-5-5-15 Dual Channel
and add them to the pc. so i would have 6 gigs.

what do you think? will this give me errors? are the two brands compatible?
i have vista64

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've always heard you want to use the same brand ram together for headache-free results. But that could just be marketing, I'm no tech-head.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well
    i could just buy the ram and add them. if i notice some bad results i can take out the corsair one and sell them. that will left me with 4gigs which i think are good enouh
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Again, almost totally in the dark here, but I think you also need to make sure the ram is going to work with your motherboard.
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    Just make sure your ram all share the default timings / speeds. Of course, basic quality is good to keep the same (don't buy value ram and OC memory and plug them in - this would work, but there may be problems down the road).
  • lokaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as far as i know that 2 brand wouldnt have any problem for the pc, it can work together, but the real problem is they cant work maximal, my friend used old pc with ddr1 1gb, 512 2 slot, it wok fine, he used it 2 years and its ok..

he always used check disk every month to keep the ram work.. and it can work fine for 3d job.. if the 3d software crash often.. he wrote "chkdsk/f/r" in the cmd.. and thats it.. no more problem.. but i cant make sure it on vista.. but the one for sure is the pc series of ram must be the same.. eg: corsair pc 5300 + other brand pc 5300. and plug it on different slot. eg : 2 slot, 4 rail, 2 rail for a brand, and the other brand on 2 other rail..

or you can ask the technical support at your nearby local store..

sorry for my bad english..
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can Frankenstein RAM and it'll usually be fine.

However, I wouldn't use mixed up RAM for overclocking. :)
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    I'd recommend going same brand if you can or ordering from a place that will let your return it in 30 days no question. If you go with gskill run http://www.memtest86.com/ over night and see if it holds up. You will have problems if you try and mix them between your dual channel banks but i'm sure you know that.

I haven't had any problem with gskill and its a decent price with good reviews on newegg. Besides the red and silver chrome looks snappy and you get stickers :)
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    I recommend g.skill, I bought 2x1Gig sticks DDR 2 1066 and OCed them to 1172mhz, 5-5-5-15 timings 2.2v and they run rock solid and cool. The case badge is slick!