Home General Discussion

new Desktop suggestions any one?

Hey every one, please bare with me as you can tell I am an English as a Second language guy as I'm sure you can tell my spelling and my grammar it's bad, yes I know sorry i try my best. I have been away from polycount for a little while now, and I really apriciate how help full every single artist on this website has been to me. I come to you all as a very humble man for some suggestions, I'm in the market for a new desktop that you may suggest it's up to date with the latest 3D hardware requirements, I mean some something that you would consider worth spending your money on and can handle the latest 3d applications. Now my price range it's 1500, is there a desktop you think you would recommend, I know this is going sound like I have been living in a cave but yes. the computer that I have now is a pentium 500 .. I bought it 12 years ago.. and it deserves to be recycle..

Replies

• dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dale22x polycounter lvl 10
    haa i thougth youwere gonna ask for desktop wallpaper suggestions..-_-

1500 should get you something pretty good.

I suggest going here to figure out which is the best available for you it helped me a lot when i was putting together a system for myself.

there are also another threads on other parts on that forum
    http://futuremark.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Do you feel up to building your own? If so, I think $1500 is plenty to buy a new desktop. Also, will this require a new monitor also? Or just the box?
  • rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im planning on buying a new machine pretty soon as well, i have about the same budget..

so far im looking at something like this:

http://a-power.com/product-2805-382-1

probably with a decent gaming card though, instead of the Quadro FX
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Assuming you buy the parts individualy and build the desktop you can easily get a top of the line machine for less then 1500. Here's a rough breakdown based on newegg prices with top of the line components:

OS = 100 (Vista Home OEM 64it)
    cpu = 200 (Core2 Quad 2.4ghz)
    ram = 170 (8gb ddr2)
    gpu = 170 (Geforce 8800GT)
    mouse = 40 (MX518, high quality precision mouse)
    lcd = 250 (1680x1050, you don't want to go lower then this these days from my experience)
    hdd = 60
    dvdr = 25
    case = 50
    mobo = 100
    psu = 50
    keyboard = 10

Total = 1225
  • Cybroxide
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cybroxide polycounter lvl 17
    just enough extra cash to through down for a new wacom :)
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I just built this computer last week:

$1,100
    http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=7653271

Take off the second SLI video card and it brings the price down to around 800. I had a lot of parts laying around, so when you add in whatever accessories you need (case, dvd drive, sound card, etc.)
    it should come out to around 1,100.

You can also get a smaller power supply if you aren't running the SLI video cards, that will save you $80 or so.

The only thing I got that wasn't on that list was a better fan/heatsink for the cpu.
  • dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dale22x polycounter lvl 10
    PolyHertz wrote: »
    Assuming you buy the parts individualy and build the desktop you can easily get a top of the line machine for less then 1500. Here's a rough breakdown based on newegg prices with top of the line components:

OS = 100 (Vista Home OEM 64it)
    cpu = 200 (Core2 Quad 2.4ghz)
    ram = 170 (8gb ddr2)
    gpu = 170 (Geforce 8800GT)
    mouse = 40 (MX518, high quality precision mouse)
    lcd = 250 (1680x1050, you don't want to go lower then this these days from my experience)
    hdd = 60
    dvdr = 25
    case = 50
    mobo = 100
    psu = 50
    keyboard = 10

Total = 1225

i would spend a bit more on a psu. and you'll probably want to get two hdds so you can back up everything without doing anything.

but thats a pretty nice system to go with
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rebel xD that's kind of what I had in mind,
    Not man. yes for the 1500 I was thinking about something that would include a monitor as well I but i 'll have to add another 300 for a monitor and keep the 1500 free just for the box. what do you guys think about Best buys do you think their computers are good enough. I was thinking about something like this
    HP - Pavilion Elite TV Desktop with Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6700
  • Oneil
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Best Buy is expensive for computer parts/stuff compared to what you can get from some place like MicroCenter or NewEgg.com. The cheapest you're going to get a good computer at is either building it yourself, or finding a good deal/discount on one for a holiday or something. Would you have a problem with building your own though, or are you looking for pre-built.
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah I know i would have trouble building it my self . so i'm looking for something pre-built all ready. but I sure have no need for it to have HD/Blue ray. player that's too much, so I just went over to Dell online and it looks like they got good deals and they let you pluck out what ever you don't need , to save a few bucks . is windows Vista reliable and pretty smooth to use or would you recommend XP
    thank you for your suggestions .
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your going for pre-built at Best Buy, I'd get an HP (always had good luck with them), core 2 quad, and 64bit os if you can. they jack up the prices alot if you get it with a good gpu (8800, 9600, or 9800) and lots of ram pre-installed. So instead get those parts separate and if necessary have the geek squad install them (comes out alot cheaper even with the service charges this way). That's assuming you get it from an actual store though instead of an online shop.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Although I don't own a typical PC these days, if I was buying/building one after owning 2 macs, I'd want it to be silent. Seriously, the noisiest thing I have at the moment is the external backup harddisk.

My work PC (Dell) is fairly quiet (though of course it can be hard to tell in an office space) yet this week some of the people from IT were up fixing and upgrading a couple of the character artists computers. With the case off you'd swear that there was a an industrial hairdryer in the room.

Is noise a factor to any of you when buying/building a PC these days? What would you suggest to keep the noise down?
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really. Just make sure to use quality parts for heat dissipation (fans/heat sinks), everything is very secure (particularly the hdd and dvd drive), none of your wires are sitting on or in front of fans, and you should be set.
  • Oneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the noise factor seem to be a big deal nowadays, I think I found something that looks promising for the price, even though after reading the costumer's ratings on this particular machine it seems like every one agrees that the Fans are really LOUD!!. but O well that's something that I'll have to deal with and like SnowFly says ,, Earphones will take care of that, thanks for your suggestions all..

here's what I'll go for and I'll get the Geforce 8800GT online some were else where they won't jack up the price

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_630?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~xpsdt_630_anav1~~KnV3a!_m&m_1=D1Q66H&m_3=4GB64&mo=1~D1Q66H&mo=3~4GB64
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    lol i went and customized a dell and was gonna put it up here before i read the last post.... it's about the same as what i had. i think the only difference was i had the HDD as 2 x 250 in RAID 0 and the 8800.

should be a pretty solid system especially considering what you're coming from... good luck

oh and i've known a few people with dells and have used their customer support myself a few times. always had a good experience and i recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to DIY it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is noise a factor to any of you when buying/building a PC these days? What would you suggest to keep the noise down?

Solve your heat issues solve your noisy fan issues. People often find they have a heat problem and just start installing fans. Or just over do it at the start trying to head off the problem, without giving much thought to other things that can keep a system cool.

Buying just the right power supply. If you don't need the wattage don't buy it. PSU's can cause and trap a lot of heat, leading people to experience heat issues, then have to install more fans and cooling. So first step assess your watt usage appropriately. Less wattage, less chance of getting a noisy fan with it.

A fan on top sucking air out is worth 2 fans on the front blowing air in.

Make sure your fans aren't blocked, air being pushed back into a fan can cause it stutter. Also dust can get in the bearings and lead to noise and slow down.

Heat sinks and air flow can go a long way in getting things cool, so help them out by keeping your cables bundled and out of the way.

Space things out don't stack.

As a measure of last resort you can try liquid cooling but I've never had a need for it and the risks have never out weighted the gains in my opinion.
  • rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can anyone recommend a good, large case ?
    so far I'm looking at these Cooler Master Cosmos:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=cooler+master+cosmos&x=0&y=0
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    ACompaq_Portable386_Running_s1.jpg

Where's Hawken to tell him to get an apple? ;)