Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Woman Head

Hey guys. It's been so long since I've been on here. I'm glad to finally get back to show some work.

34view.jpg
Front.jpg
Side.jpg

Here's a woman I've worked on. This was actually the same model I used for Character Animation class. The teacher only wanted a basic model, and I was going to flesh out the model to rig and animate.

It was finals week and since my classes have been over for two days, I decided to go back and flesh her out a bit. I started running into edge loop issues with the body and I just decided to just scrap the body. I decided to optimize the head, and I just wanted to see what you guys thought so far.

Replies

• dippingsauce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The nose is quite massive~ My suggestion would be to find orthographic reference and use it. Find front and side face shots of a woman, create reference planes, stick those images on there and do your best to fit your model to the reference. It'll help you as a beginner get a better feel for realistic proportion which I think you really need to nail. Good luck! :)
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    less winging it and more reff....

you tell me...whats wrong with yours compared to a real head. Even if this is supose to be toony, it doesnt read as female. you have a geo start, now use that and push it into place. This can be made into a nice head with a bit more work.

example.jpg
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Olive from Pop Eye ?
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Right, first things first, are you using reference material? If not, get some ASAP- never trust just what your mind is telling you, the more reference images you have, the better :) Especially if it's of naked ladies- you learn and get amused at the same time! :p

Secondly, you've got a start on getting the right edgeloops in around the eyes and mouth but then it's gone all gridded out- check out Darren "Daz" Pattenden's tutorial
    http://www.daz-art.com/hi_poly_tut.htm , he does a really comprehensive rundown of his workflow- a lot of these practices such as the edgeloops and modelling methods can be used for game art too, but you find that any edgeloops that are really close to each other that they upset the balance detail wise get optimised down.

As for this model as it stands right at this moment, I'd personally move the eyesockets forward, so there's less of a mad curve going on when looking at the contour lines of the eyes, nose, mouth and chin :)
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    haha typical, I spend my time writing up a rare reply to a thread and several people jump in with even better feedback lmao

Stimpack: that ref chick's quite cute.... nice eyes
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    i thought so too =P random find on 3d.sk