Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alley Way scene

Replies

• DanielMartinez
    This is a alley way scene that I was working on for another class. Let me know what you guys think. its alittle dark :(
  • DanielMartinez
  • DanielMartinez
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks good but you need more interest in the floor, its a bit boring atm
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's too dark.

Some simple brightness adjustments (+20) made all of your work magically appear on my screen. Get that straight and you'll have something we can give proper feedback on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree about the ambient light level, needs to be bumped up and possibly be made up of more cool colors. Something also to keep in mind with city scenes is light pollution, often talked about when looking at the stars but also effects the light levels on the ground also.

I'm a firm believer that light in dark scenes should be darker the farther away from the player. Think of it like a fog effect, always at it brightest most visible around the player where ever they go.

I'm not sure if these are renders or if you're using an engine but a little fog and some glow around the lights could help things along.

Over all based on what I see, it looks like great work! But to get a full 10 outa 10 we'd need to see the changes mentioned along with some more shots of wires, texture and maybe the modular pieces you used, exploded in one render.

AlleyPaintOver.jpg
  • DanielMartinez
    OK that looks great! much closer to the atmosphere that I wanted to achieve! those glows make a big difference. I'm working with MAX 8 and still need to finish the floor n un-stretch the texture. Thanks for the feed back!!!!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hats much better with vigs lighting changes
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I'd like to know the story behind the scene. It's a little harsh to call the "too dark" shots without even knowing what the scene is about other than trying to be an alley.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    nah its too dark and vig gave a great crit. the ambient light / light polution of a city is brighter then that typically and besides for a portfolio piece its not a good idea to bury your props in darkness. they may think your trying to hide something.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You guys must have dark monitors??? Cuz his scene shows up perfectly on my end. re: It doesn't seem all that dark to me.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    IronHawk wrote: »
    nah its too dark and vig gave a great crit. the ambient light / light polution of a city is brighter then that typically and besides for a portfolio piece its not a good idea to bury your props in darkness. they may think your trying to hide something.

I agree but he didn't really say anything about this being in a portfolio. Personally I like the darkness.. it's a little scary and yes.. as if something is hiding there. But then I happen to like pitch black areas like they did in some places of bioshock.. picking up that shotgun was so scary even though I KNEW it was going to happen.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Bioshock, you where inside, miles underwater and most of the lighting had been trashed. It was also a single player experience more in line with survival horror, not really a fair comparison. I loved Bioshock but I don't think every game/level should be built on the same principals.

True we really don't know what kind of game play this area would have, but I'm assuming FPS and pitch black areas can be problematic especially for multi-player, but who knows maybe it will be multi-player like Splinter Cell? Which would be more of a unique case and more of an exception instead of the rule.

Even if he doesn't change the light levels at all, adding some sky color to the dark areas would help the sky blend into the level a little bit more. So instead of black shadows, they would have a slight blue tint. Which is a handy trick to keep in mind because we're normally asked to help blend a sky box into the playable areas...

The sky is a dark bluish color with very few stars, which indicates light pollution over a city area. So thats why I suggested adding more ambient light.