Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1st thread (props) needs critiques please

Hey everyone this is actually my second posting (I just posted some environments about 5 mins ago) Please give me some feedback, all this weill help in in trying to graduate and create a demo reel. Thanks!

This is a crossbow I modeled in 3ds max, created detail in z-brush and a normal mapped.
2571289762_4e5bedc36b.jpg?v=0

Here is a battle helmet I also modeled.

2571291502_44327a1e98.jpg?v=0

Replies

• jasonnavoyski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for this comment and the one on the last thread. I like they idea of using alphas on the grass for the lighthouse environment. I will post improvements as they come. Unfortunately I am on break from school right now and the last thing I want to do is be doing well... school work. Thanks.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    why do you have 2 threads for your work. Put all of your stuff into one and that will be much more productive.
  • jasonnavoyski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry bout that. I'm a newb to the board and I wanted to keep environments and props seperate. I know from now on... Thanks
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That last part about "school work"... Until you stop thinking of it the same way you did math homework in high school you aren't going to succeed. It takes a ridiculous amount of passion, effort, and practice to get to a real professional level. If adding more to your scene is work for you and not something that you cant wait to do, you need to stop and think if this is really what you want to do.

I only say this because I went to school where the majority of the people acted the same way. Guess how many of them have jobs in the game industry right now? You cant stop practicing. That is something I learned the hard way. I started thinking I was good and got lazy. Then I come to a place like polycount and see a million people that are better than me, which has lit a fire under me to get better.

If you want to get a job straight out of college, an art job and not a job at mcdonalds, you need to work as hard as you can now. Rest later.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Arctura000 hit on something that wasn't immediately obvious to me until I looked again. The crossbow has no notches where the string loops attach at the ends so if you drew it back the loops would most likely slip off the ends.
    The other thing is that in all your displays the objects have a wireframe over them, while this is helpful showing the construction it would be better to show only one or two wireframe shots and then an actual render with no wires so we can see the detail in the textures.
    They look pretty neat but I would say a bit too simple, some chamfered edges would be nice especially in the crossbow.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    Ima have to agree with The_Kozmonaut. You really need to step it some notches and really go to town on your work. Look into some tutorials on modeling high poly assets/whatever if you are interested of course. and always practice practice practice makes perfect....good luck!