Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New/Old armor?!

epic old armor? Its new armor to you! =)
Here is a new character I have been working on in my spare time, check em out. =D
Yari%2BArmor_low.jpg

Replies

• Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Push the colors more like in your concept the grey rock is kind of boring.
  • Naime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oooh good point.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool, kind of like something from Final Fantasy.
    4470 tri's? Seems kind of high? Can we see some wire views along with texture/uv layouts? Might be some room to optimize.
  • Naime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a wire, and the texture layout.

yari_wire.jpg
    yari_layout.jpg
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    I think you got as many tris in the end of one of those things at the end of ur cape that you got in one arm. You need to distribute the polies better but that is one easy thing to learn and it can be done by viewing other peoples models. More equal distribution over areas, add more where is needed.

I like the ornamental detailed parts (in brown) and Its your design but if it was mine I would make the rest that looks like shiny rock in a similar fashion and detail shape. (in the texture)

You stayed true to the concept tho but i agree in the colors need tweaking.

Keep it up and welcome to polycount!

(take the sword, turn it upside down and i think zelda hehe)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i think most of your polys are in the fingers you possibly have the same amount of polys in each finger as the arm???? halve them

also make the tassles thin bits four sections not eight some simple optimisatons wil bring that count right down and it will look the same.

also agree that the rock texture is pants, it needs some bigger forms in it as welll as smaller.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    winter lord- snap!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Add some polys in around where the pants meet the boots, right now its kinda hard to tell where they bunch up like in the concept, plus you need to work on your diffuse some more, make the boots a different color from the pants so they stand out.
  • Naime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys, did a quick walk cycle, started a new model, might come back to paint more detail in the future.

Dark_Yari.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    really really noisey! almost all your detail just reads as noise here, i would scrap most of this texture and try to add some real form into it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's great to see you rig it up and do a walk cycle, good stuff. But you might be jumping the gun.
    SHEPEIRO wrote: »
    i think most of your polys are in the fingers you possibly have the same amount of polys in each finger as the arm???? halve them

also make the tassles thin bits four sections not eight some simple optimisatons wil bring that count right down and it will look the same.

also agree that the rock texture is pants, it needs some bigger forms in it as welll as smaller.
    I agree.

The texture is also in need of an overhaul as EQ pointed out you need to build form and define shapes. Also since this is diffuse only, you need to either make good use of the uniquely unwrapped UV pieces or you should mirror a lot more.

The texture reads as rock, not sure if its meant to be metal? If its metal, work on defining the edges with some detail like rolled edges, rivets, fasteners. It looks less like armor and more like he is a rock golem.

I'd say you're off to a good start and might not be open to making too many changes so I would say keep the things brought up in this thread, fresh when you start the next one, looking forward to it. =)