Home General Discussion

Home network wizards, please help :(

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
HOME NETWORKING.. aaaargh!

The gist: My wireless router shows up on my laptop no problem. My laptop connects to it no problem. It has an 'excellent' connection to it (5 bars) and logged in to the network no problem with the password.

However, I cannot connect to the internet with it. Any ideas?

Any help I can get with this would be awesome as I am about to lose my head.

Additional information:

Here's how my home network is setup:
Desktop computer + Cable modem + Xbox 360 + Wireless Linksys Router
wired
> VOiP Router

My computer, modem, 360 and wireless router are all wired to the VOiP router.

The linksys router is new. I had it setup 2 days ago so that the laptop was able to connect no problem and my girl could surf the web as much as she wanted.

However, since I had it setup I hadn't played my 360, until today.

So when I logged in to my 360, I noticed it wasn't on Live. I went through the steps of getting it online (which in this case was just a matter of me going to Media Player 11 and making sure it was set to share my media with my 360, which it was already doing oddly enough. After I had checked that, the 360 was back online and is currently downloading the BF: Bad Company demo.

On the laptop, I've tried going to Network Connections -> Internet Connection (which is "Disabled"), right clicking on it and choosing Enable. That ended up showing me, "Connection failed!"

So now, I am stuck. I am hoping I don't have to do too much fiddling with the network itself as it seems like anything changing causes the 360 to go off the network. (re: ipconfig/release, /renew, etc. etc.) and am hoping its some simple clicks in XP.

Both my desktop and my laptop are running Windows XP SP2.

If anyone has some insight in to the problem, or a solution, I'd love to get the help. In advance, thanks a ton.

Replies

This discussion has been closed.