Home Contests & Challenges Archives

FPS Weapon - GED - Plasma Infusion Rifle

Ged
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Ged interpolator
Heres my idea so far, I did some thumnails and stuff but its not really worth seeing.

Plasma Infusion Rifle shoots through pretty much anything

fps_weapon1.jpg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks good, maybe look into the position of the blade? i think adding a forearm grip thats seperate from the blade would be good, something with a little lip at the end that would make it harder for your hand to slip and slice open =D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good point EQ haha, I will add something there when I do the high poly.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great. The grip where the trigger is seems to be overly complex, doesn't seem easy to work. Is this a one handed weapon or a rifle? I can't tell. Seems too large to be a hand gun, but there doesn't seem easy be an easy way to support the gun with two hands.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Sage wrote: »
    Looks great. The grip where the trigger is seems to be overly complex, doesn't seem easy to work. Is this a one handed weapon or a rifle? I can't tell. Seems too large to be a hand gun, but there doesn't seem easy be an easy way to support the gun with two hands.

theres a grip on the knife handle that locks into the bottom of the gun that can be used to hold the weapon. The knife can be unlocked and used seperately if needed but this would mean firing the weapon with only one hand and thats pretty tricky . Yeah the trigger area is over complex just for fun :) I kinda liked the silhouette. Its a sci fi gun based on a mix of other guns both realistic and fantasy based.

I was mostly inspired by this dude
    http://www.alieninsect.com/alinpages/masterindex.htm
    his weapon concepts rock!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah his concept rock. I really like the shotgun he designed, very tempted to model it.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I boxed out the forms with extruded splines but I realised I cant really use this to build up my high poly so Im just gonna build from scratch again but at least now I have a better idea of the proportions of the parts.

fps_weapon2.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I cant seem to get max to bind a key to "use nurms subdivision" under editable poly. How do you guys do this? is it the "NURMS toggle (poly)" in customise or something else cause thats not working for me?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you want to switch between smoothed and lowresversion? i just put a turbo smooth in stack and toggle the show "end result toggle" via a key
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah turbosmooth is way faster than nurms iirc too
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    but sometimes it bugs around so removing it and adding a new turbosmooth is needed
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    If you don't want to keep adding and taking away turbo smooth select your mesh and shift drag so that it is complete off your "working" mesh and make it a Reference copy. Now add turbo smooth to that referenced copy.

Anything you do to your "working" mesh will also be done to your referenced mesh and you will be able to see it with turbo smooth applied as well.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That seems like a pretty poor workflow, you all should just use modo, then all you need to do is hit tab =D
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks for the replys everyone. Well Im just sticking to turbo smooth and show end result for now. Modo does look nice but I use cinema4D at work and the whole reason Im doing this in max is just to test my skills with other software, I could probably do this faster in C4D but I want to learn how to do proper subD modelling in max cause Im still a bit of a noob.

Im using max 2009 trial and direct 3d mode was really glitchy(wheres the polygons gone? oh noes!) so Im doing everything in opengl mode.

heres todays progress about 3 hours, re made the stock twice :P this is harder than I thought.

fps_weapon3.jpg

some of the more lumpy bits on the ends will be inside other parts dont worry.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    fps_weapon4.jpg

my 3 biggest enemys with subD so far are poles, tris and square objects. The way I extrude square objects is to inset the poly then chamfer the diagonals that the inset created...is this how other people do it?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    fps_weapon5.jpg

Im doing this in my spare time, one piece at a time, so Ive put in about 11 hours in total on this so far. I like where its going :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ok high poly is just about done is there anything I can add to this? I know my floating bits are a bit too visible in fpv but Im not sure what I can do about that?

fps_weapon6.jpg
    fps_weapon7.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Ged to add the shortcut to the nurms toggle go under Customize/Main UI/Editable Polygon Object/ Nurm toggle (poly) set that to whatever key you want. I usually set the subd level to 2.

I really like how this is turning out.

Alex
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looking cool :)

I was half expecting a PI Magnum...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks guys, yeah mop I quickly changed the thread subject after it was created cause I realised people might expect cheezy 70s stuff haha. Too bad the thread title on the forums stays the same :P.

I wasnt sure about the way the plasma grenade launcher bit joins to the rest of the gun, it just didnt look realistic in the last few renders so Ive done a little bit of a change and built a clasp type thing that holds it in place so it can be removed for maintenance. but now there are some gaps does it look better or worse?

fps_weapon8.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good so far, i would add some curve to the top of that sight, maybe some extra details, like eotech type details
    07c41_eotech_holographic_sight_nvg_night_vision_compatible_25.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    might do that when I get back EarthQuake Im off on holiday to the lake district so I dont expect to finish this model in time for the contest but I will finish it.