Home Technical Talk

Hi poly zbrush models to normal maps WorkFlow

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
kypo polycounter lvl 17
hey,

I've been working on a character model for the last few days in zbrush, creating as much detail as the computer can handle. So far the model is at 24 million polygons thanks to zbrush's subtools feature. the problem i have now is getting the model into a program that i can produce the normal map from.

I wanted to see if any one has any work flow tutorials that can share with me? as i have been unable so far to get the normals created in 3d max, zmapper and xnormals. perhaps I'm doing some thing wrong but i thought i would ask the pro's to stop the headache that this is starting to cause.

Thanks guys

kypo

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You can export it in chunks from Zbrush - mask off sections at a time and export them as .obj

You can export sections at lower subdivisons too
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I would just export each subtool seperately then bring them all to xnormal.

then there put them in the highdef meshes slot.
    put your UV mapped lowres mesh in the low definition meshes slot
    then baking options> pretty straightforward

for testing purposes you could just use a medium res mesh/subtool, untick all other subtools visibility in xnormal and do some tests with that, can save lots of time when working with dense meshes
  • CodeFather
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Recently, I've discovered MeshLabs , a open source application for optimizing 3d scanned models, and it turn to be quite useful. It's able to crunch the polycount of a zbrush models without loosing detail. Export your subtools as obj. and process them one by one, then bring them to max and bake :)

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Cheers!

Martin P.
  • kypo
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for the reply martin,rick and vik. After looking at the model this morning i decided to do with your ideas of splitting the model down into small groups and doing the normal maps separate in xnormal and then piecing together the normal map in photoshop. i had a look at the meshlab and it does a really good job of crunching the polys down with the quadric edge collapse decimation which keeps so much of the detail so thanks for point that my way. I've been using this work flow do far.

--> export hi res model/ subtool from zbrush
    --> run through mesh lab if it is to high poly for max
    --> import into max
    --> create low res model round hi res and using the projection modifier build a cage for the projection
    --> save off low res as smb format (included with xnormal) with cage, uv and normals.
    --> import hi res and low res into xnormal and bake the normals.

This seems to be working pretty well so far. hopefully I'll be able to post some of normal maps ect... when they are done.

Thanks again.