Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pangarang's 2D Art Thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
pangarang polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys!

Decided to start a 2D art thread to avoid polluting the forum with separate threads for every new drawing I do. Feel free to critique anything I put here. Working hard at improving on both 2D and 3D simultaneously. Here we go.

September 16, 2012:

adawip.jpg

June 3, 2008

faceto3.jpgface2ac2.jpg

crankytc6.jpgevilsailormoonft3.jpg

The evil sailor moon was just a joke sketch I started and got carried away with. Wondering if it's worth taking it all the way.

More updates to follow!

Replies

• pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to squeeze a little ethnicity in there.

One thing I notice happens a little more often than I'd like is after spending time on the shading and making sure all the finer details look somewhat respectable, I take a step back and see that the proprotions are WRONG! Anyway, here's the latest piece in a series of 8 portraits I'm planning on.

face4yh2.jpg
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Here's what I do:

1. Start with basic structure-- that'll get your proportions in there, and any mistakes are easily fixable.
    2. Block in shadow shapes and overall structures, such as eyes, nose, mouth, blocking in hair & such.
    3. Move into finer details, bringing out shadows & details ( highlights, ears & whatnots).

Sure it sounds easy, and definitely easier said than done, but if you can keep things generally in this order as you're drawing, I'm sure you'll see some improvement in your own work.

So far, the smoker and the hoodie are the best overall-- the girl is good too, but I think her head looks a little too big for her face. I guess her hair just has a lot of volume at her skull :)

Keep it up, I'm sure you'll see improvement!
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout,

thanks for that invaluable advice! I've heard about that technique before and you're right, it does sound pretty easy, lol, but for some reason I've yet to try that. Probably just keep going back to my old habits. But yes, I'll definitely have to make a conscious effort to try that and see how it works out for me, so thanks for sharing!

Here are some other drawings I've done anywhere between years to weeks ago. I haven't done anything in the last little while, but i'll get them posted on here for critiques as soon as I get the chance.

These are all pulled straight from my website portfolio.

anatomy.jpg

skater2.jpg

bode.jpg

bottle.jpg
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    nice good shapes
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This next one is pretty huge and I don't want it chugging up anyone's computer. It a collage of some of the practice I've been doing as of late. Modeling too much, not enough traditional back to the basics type drawing. So I've been working straight up on the drawing for the last few weeks. Here's the link

http://www.joshuapang.ca/drawings/practice.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some heads I threw together.

headsq.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another photoshop portrait thing.

39707833.jpg
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ada Wong from the Resident Evil game series.

adawip.jpg
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    Nice improvement already from the first images. Keep it up:-)
    Just one critique is to study some ear anatomy. Everything is coming along nicely, just your ears need some more work
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    I feel you're focusing too much on detail, finish, rendering, and not enough on shape, proportion or composition. You really shouldn't have spent all that much time on Charlie's hair.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    force urself to work with a bigger brush
    with each 'subdivision' scale ur brush down somewhat and work with it to its fullest extent