Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

David Weinstein Animation Demo Reel - Starwars & Matrix

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the boards. I wanted to share my animation demo reel with all of you. There is not much game work on this reel. I hope to get another reel cut together of my game works. Check out my Blog site also for some other goodies :) -D

matrixreloadapubarrelssrg1.jpgstarwarsep2nexurevealsmcd8.jpg
vanhelsingthroatgrabsmaol3.jpgmatrixrevosaddleupsmallpc8.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoiW8rr9Tr4"]Click Here To View the Reel![/ame]

Replies

• sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    Tried to watch the reel, but says it is no longer available. Sorry
  • dw78nov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland wrote: »
    Tried to watch the reel, but says it is no longer available. Sorry

Really? Could you look again and let me know if it is not working... I can see the link and play the reel on my side. Weird... -D
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Damn dude, really nice. Would love to see some more technical shots (rig setups, behind the scenes shots of these animations, etc.).

I'm really interested in your game animations now :) What brought you to Polycount?
  • dw78nov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Damn dude, really nice. Would love to see some more technical shots (rig setups, behind the scenes shots of these animations, etc.).

I'm really interested in your game animations now :) What brought you to Polycount?

Hey What's up man! Thanks for the kind words. I was snooping around on some friends sites and noticed in the links area a website called "Polycount". I've never heard of the site... so here I am. From one game geek to another :)

Man I would love to show tech breakdowns for some of these shots but that is something o'l George Lucas and Uncle Sony don't like you showing very much. They like to keep their techniques secretive... blah. One good thing tho is that I'm starting a educational company that will dive hardcore into DVD tutorial lessons. All of the products will be authored by professionals like myself! So this could be pretty cool :) Take a look at the preview trailer for the site: www.digitalapprenticeworkshop.com

I've got a lot of game works on various hard drives I need to snoop around and gather up what I would be willing to show. Some of the works I may be to shy to show :poly144:. You can peep a few extras on my blogsite, I've got a mech animation I did for EA Games a little bit back on there.

-D
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn man, that's some pretty kick ass work right there. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of your stuff, and seeing how your education company comes along. And no shyness, post some game stuff! :D
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Some very impressive stuff. Only annoyance was some of the bad interlacing artifacts that were visible, mostly in the mummy 2 scenes.
  • dw78nov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the props all!

Yes, I am also annoyed by the interlacing problem on the reel. I had to compress the heck out of the reel to get it to upload on youtube. :snarl:

I am going to do a better job on the next one. Try to make sure everything stays super sharp. Glad everyone is enjoying it tho :)

Any favorite pieces on the reel? I am always keen to know what stands out the most. -D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi there! Great stuff all around! (stating the obvious haha)
    My fav has to be the Matrix exoskeletons. Because you managed to make them move a little like stopmo rigs somehow - and I think it looks great!

Since you likely worked with some of them do you have links to the modelers behind the meshes? Curious to see if the ones behind the StarWars models have blogs and such.

And welcome!
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    yeah, again sorry for the scare about the link being down not sure what was up with that but working fine for me now. A lot of awesome high profile stuff, though its hard to tell what you did the the star wars battle scene unless you did everything in it, then fricken' awesome. And I was wondering what the shot with the eel/leech going up the guy was from. But again needless to say some damn good work.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this is some epic stuff. My favorite is the Matrix exos. You did an awesome job with giving a sense of the scale and power of those things, and it really looks like it's being piloted by a human the way it reacts to everything.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sweetness! Very cool stuff indeed. Were you just doing animation on the shows, or were you doing comp work as well?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice work, I really liked how you ended your reel real nice.

Alex
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Kind of looks like clips from the movie and special features on the dvd...

I'm not saying anything and I know the movie biz reels are like this, but that's what I'd be thinking if I saw it at work.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Whaa? What do you expect him to show? Just like some game studios wont let you post texture flats or wires, film studios dont want you posting unreleased info either.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Like I said, I know most movie reels do this, and since I've disregarded any company policy of what work of mine I can show I have a pretty obscured view, it's just that's what it looks like, especially when it's hosted on youtube.

The guy obviously has no problem getting a job, so it doesn't really matter, but it's a message board and I can post my 2 cents.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey dw78nov welcome to polycount and great to see some impressive work that you have. I will be checking out the blog and I have to agree with MoP of maybe sharing some of the modelers that worked with you on these projects. I know alot of gaming guys, but would like to learn more of the talented people behind movies, and hopefully you can hellp in that:) Again, glad you found polycount, and looking forward to what you show next!

Spark
  • dw78nov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc wrote: »
    Kind of looks like clips from the movie and special features on the dvd...

I'm not saying anything and I know the movie biz reels are like this, but that's what I'd be thinking if I saw it at work.

Hey Murdoc, That is what the reel looks like because that what the reel is. It's my shots that I animated on various films and also some low res development test edited together with music.
    If you would like to see my official credits to prove that these works are indeed mine check out my IMDB.com. The Internet Movie Database, where all credits are verified. You can see my game and movie credits. Here's the link to my bio: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1313488/

-D
  • dw78nov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark wrote: »
    Hey dw78nov welcome to polycount and great to see some impressive work that you have. I will be checking out the blog and I have to agree with MoP of maybe sharing some of the modelers that worked with you on these projects. I know alot of gaming guys, but would like to learn more of the talented people behind movies, and hopefully you can hellp in that:) Again, glad you found polycount, and looking forward to what you show next!

Spark

Very cool - thanks for the comments. Well not many people have websites or blog which is pretty funny. But there are a few... here is a link to my godo buddy Gio's modeling site. He's a Creature Modeling Supervisor at ILM. Go here: http://www.gionakpil.com/ I will look around for more and post them here for everyone :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Hey, I've seen this reel before! I'm just as floored now as I was when I first saw it, too. The APU stuff is badass, especially the bit that's just blocked in and low-detail; it really puts the focus on the animation instead of the greebly little details.

Me likey.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Jesus, I haven't heard or seen anything about Gio in like 7-8 years. I'm glad he ended up at ILM, that's the place for someone with his talent. Anyway, welcome to the boards.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Nutty!
    Welcome to the land o green David Weinstein.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, great stuff. I was a big fan of that particular scene in The Matrix, mostly for the cool swarms and lovely jerky animation of those walkers. If you're looking for something a little better for high-quality video, check out Vimeo. I know a lot of vj's and animation students go there, and the quality definately seems a lot better than youtube. I'm looking forward to those tutorials, they should be pretty impressive :)
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    dw78nov wrote: »
    Very cool - thanks for the comments. Well not many people have websites or blog which is pretty funny. But there are a few... here is a link to my godo buddy Gio's modeling site. He's a Creature Modeling Supervisor at ILM. Go here: http://www.gionakpil.com/ I will look around for more and post them here for everyone :)

This guy's work is fucking incredible!

very nice reel dude, but that goes without saying. awesome stuff.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to polycount! I think you worked on most of my favorite movies so glad you joined.
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome work David! Can't wait to see what July 4th brings =)
  • etherwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, sweet stuff! And I thought I recognized the music too. Isn't that from one of the EVE-Online trailers?