Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Garage

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
Heres a WIP garage i did in 3dmax. It's flooded after a disasterous earthquake or post apocalyptic event. Need some major critique about the lighting i really want to nail that down.

garagesam7pc9.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you're off to a decent start.

Crits:
    - The power rarely stays uninterrupted when disasters hit. If the disaster doesn't cut the power the energy officials might shut it down until its safe to turn it back on.
    - Cars don't float. Well technically they do for 1-2min max when car falls into the water. But the engine pulls it down and the trunk is what stays up until the air escapes. In case of a flood water, it raises slowly flooding the car. Hopefully the car slipped into the mechanics pit (hint hint wink wink nod)
    - There would be more crap in the water, think about the trash compactor scene in Star Wars, then turn in down a few notches.
    - Dig up some ref from Katrina if you haven't already.
    - Find out how long some stuff floats, does cardboard always stay up? What about the contents in the boxes?
    - A garage has a lot of stuff in it, a lot of chemicals and oils that might float on the surface.
    - Since the power is on, you might as well take this opportunity to put some lights under the water, like in a mechanics pit? And really work the water into the scene.

Lastly is this for rendering fun, or is this meant to be low poly game art?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent Criqtics!!! No this is for low poly game lighting practice. I am thinking about placing this on the Unreal 3 editor too. Also any more comments about the lighting? Should the light be a bit more brighter without disturbing the murky mood of the scene?
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks SOOOOO much better then the garage scene I tried to make, my question to you is this though. Where are the two lights(one on the car and one to the right of that) coming from? You can see from the shadows the light is directly above the box and the car. Well are those the only two lights from the ceiling? Cause through the rest of the garage, there are only the lights on the wall...

Just an observation I made :P
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes there are floodlights mounted on the ceiling. I might have to bring those down a bit so you know where the light source is coming from. Thanks for the props though!