Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flamethrower.

This was taken pretty much directly from TF2 with my own little additions. Like the ammo gauge and yeah. Anyways Let me know what you all think.

1. This is before I added the ammo gauge.
flamethrower-1.jpg
flamethrower1.jpg
3. Ammo gauge
ammogauge.jpg
4. TRYING to texture
texturingflamethrower1.jpg
ammogauge1.jpg
6. Wire frame - Pre ammo gauge
flamethrowerwireframe.jpg

I guess I could have put this in with the other thread but to save people on that 56K this should help them out.

Laters!

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    I've never played TF2, but how to the characters hold this flamethrower? I see the handle and the trigger for, lets say the right hand, but it's a rather large (and probably heavy) weapon, where would the left hand go in order to support it's weight?

cool gauge, solid design here.

Polycount seems lower than the chaingun/minigun, but could probably still lose a lot of geometry through the shaft and not lose much , if any detail.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Is it just me...or does Maya 2008 look a lot like 3D Studio Max?

As for the flamethrower model, I actually have some questions. Does the Source Engine use a separate model for a weapons viewmodel and its weapon model? The viewmodel is what you see from the perspective of the player, and the weapon model is what you would see other players carrying. This model's polycount looks right for a viewmodel, and too high for a weapon model.

Of course, it is obvious you intend for it to be a viewmodel. But if that's the case, you can probably bump down the detail anywhere that the player won't be able to see as clearly. The underside of the barrel, for instance, will probably be barely ever seen. You could save quite a few polys there. Ditto for the end of the barrel. Its noticeably farther away from the camera, and could be heavily optimized. I'd also consider doing the holes on the gas tank with alpha shaders. Conversely, the gauge that is all up in the player's face would probably benefit from more polys.

The overall structure and appearance are fine, it looks nice and threatening. It also looks noticeably more believable than your average game weapon. I like the texturing evident in the gauge, that's solid. I'm not entirely sure where the character would put his other hand. Adding a grip somewhere might help.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Is it just me...or does Maya 2008 look a lot like 3D Studio Max?
    it looks exactly like maya 8.5 at the very least.
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.tfc.jolt.co.uk/tf2/tf2_pyro.jpg

That is how it is intended to be held.

@ Kain: Honestly I have no idea how engines work, I just learned maya last semester and am trying to find a mod group I can hop into. I think first i need to model some more things though, but if I find out whether or not there are two models for one gun(view and player) I will let you know!

@ Adam: Yeah the chain/minigun was my first venture, and on this gun I had a better idea of how to do things with less poly's I really need to go chop down that chain gun!

preciate the comments!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good Screen shot... you think that part of the flamethrower would get really hot lol

cheers!
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe add a handle type thing around it?

hey adam what do you play on XBL?
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    if you want that ammo gauge to work, model the needle, don't just paint it on - otherwise there wouldn't be any way to animate the gauge.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    if it's working right, the only part of that flamethrower that should get hot, is the very end.

If you're holding it like that, and your hand is getting hot. . . you won't even have time to drop it and run away.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i suppose you're right Tumer... I've never held a flamethrower though lol. I suppose it would make sense if it was made of materials that didn't absorb heat, making it therefore not necessary for an additional handle.

Quokimbo: I play a lot of halo3 haha, a little GTA4 and some gears. finally picked up an orange box the other day but I don't understand how to play TF2 yet. having a lot of fun with portal tho!

cheers
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Adam, I don't think you fully understand my point.

All that's inside the tube where his hand is, is gas. Unignited Gas.

The gas doesn't get lit until the very muzzle end of the flamethrower. That's why that small flame is down there pointing at it.

Think of it like a garden hose. As long as you hold the tube part, and don't put your hand in front of the nozzle, your hand doesn't get wet. Same for the gas in the flamethrower.