Edgelooper
polycounter lvl 11

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    way to many clicks to go to your art.

honestly no one cares what you look like. I don't want to see your mug on the front page when i go to your site.

I am there to see your art. If I wanted to see your face I'd add you on myspace.
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    I agree. I would put my best work on the front page if I were you, instead of a picture of yourself.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Now just add painting to that cursor so we can paint a mustache on your face. drop the gimicks and put your best work out on the front page. Create some better renders instead of having people download a large file for the 360 view.

Get rid of links that go nowhere like the character section and goes to a WIP and no pic.

Everything should be straightforward and easy.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=39516&highlight=repels+jobs

good luck
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Please delete this site and replace it with a thumbnail gallery of your work. Most will not put up with this much load time to see your work. Look at Jesse, IronHawk or my portfolio's in our signatures. All are the same thing, simple, quick and what employers want to see.

The motorbike was cool.
  • Edgelooper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edgelooper polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the critiques.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Hey, texture work seems to be your strong point. Although, I think you need to choose which way you want to go between environment artist or character artist, and it appears that your environment stuff is much better. Also, you need stats for the meshes and textures you are showing, especially if you are going for a job in the game industry. I think what you have done with the site is really cool, but as you can see it simply doesn't work for a portfolio site. I'm sure it sucks to hear as you probably put a lot of work into it, but really the more simple and straight forward the site, the better. Good luck, and I will be interested to see what your next site looks like.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Cool website, I'd say it would get you a job as a web designer before a game artist though - that's not a crit against the work... the art is pretty solid, after clicking through the framework to access it.

here is a crit given from Gauss to Richkid on his website: consider this advice as well:

"howdy gavin.

some of the best advice i've ever received regarding portfolios/website design is to consider the person viewing the dumbest, most exhausted creature ever. a lot of HR people, or team members who end up being tasked with looking over websites just want to get to the good stuff; "clever" website touches usually make little impression.
    what you need to do is get as few as clicks to your art as possible, basically. you should really be able to access some or most of the pieces with a single click, once the website has loaded--why make them click around?

that's the primary consideration. second to that, you probably need to do some cutting. this the worst step, and especially tough when you're just starting out. but as they say, kill your babies...
    in your 3D section, the second and third models are just not doing anything for me. i think little caveboy is your strongest piece by far (the domwar character is good but very muddled, despite further tweakage). and don't tease us--there's a cool shot in the thumbnail of the boy with his mouth open, and yet we click on it, and we don't see that shot--what's that about? i agree that some of the art may not be presented as well as it could be--that might end up saving those middle two pieces from the graveyard. take time to pose and render models as best you can, and as consistently as you can. as has been suggested, wireframes and other alternate views are probably a good idea.

ditch the traditional/3d sections for your sketches. you've got some quality stuff in there, but again, we're trying to cut down to as few mouseclicks as possible here.
    there's an extraordinarily jaded and tired person who is deciding your fate on the other end, cater to their needs, not to the casual visitor.

there's definitely some good stuff in here, but you're getting distracted trying to make the website itself interesting, frankly. don't. it should be transparent as possible--notice how the most talented of artists have very minimal websites... coincidence? they're not trying to get hired as web designers, they don't want anything distracting from the art. it's the equivalent of mounting a show in a gallery with flashing lights and honking horns--how are you letting the viewer appreciate what you really want them to see?

above everything else, be ruthless. portfolio time is the meanest time for an artist, personally... as it's been said before, you are always judged on your weakest piece, because that's what they'll expect you to produce when you're actually in a production environment.
    far better to have less in your portfolio than to have filler. be careful about producing work solely for the portfolio as well, though, too--you've spent time on it expressly to put it in the portfolio, so that whole process can end up blinding you to the quality (or lack of quality) of the work.

hope this helps."