Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TF2 Robot Factory(environment wip)

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
I posted this elsewere but wanted more opinions. Im making this for a Team Fortress 2 map which takes place on a tropical island. This giant robot is being built by red and blu is out to stop them.

bridge2mc6.jpg

3dsmaxtest5kp2.jpg

3dsmaxtest4gd9.jpg

Scott Petty
Environment Artist
www.Buddikaman.com

Replies

• Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    That Robot is cool and i think it fits well into tf2 but the rivet and scratches are much too big! The environment around it looks very simple compared to the robot, i guess thats very wip?
    Some welding robo arms and other tech that is used to build that huge robot would be cool.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually the environment around him hasnt been touched, the textures are placeholder. I was hoping someone could give some insights as to how to make the scene(other than robot) look more interesting. This could also include textures for the walls, floors ect.

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    I think it looks amazing. I don't really like the ammount of bolts in the texture though, they don't really make much sense. Get rid of them!

As for the environment, check out this great resource:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/martintrolle/sets/
  • DLoud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DLoud polycounter lvl 15
    maybe some lights, trusses, scaffolding around the robot. Just some ideas.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think it's great. The rivets may be too big but I think it helps lend to the cartoony feel. Awesome robot.

My main thought for TF2 is that BLU is the 'hi-tech' team and red is the 'Jimmy Rig Team'. In this case I think it would be cool to have the robot be Blu's and Blu in the defensive position.

I'd do stuff like a raised metal trim around that floor circle on bth sides. Make it a func_detail so it doesn't complicate terrain. Maybe make that circle the wire grid tex so it's see thru. I'd get rid of the 'notches inside the circle, just for smoother gameplay, always sucks to be backing up and just miss the floor and fall...oh wait, now I see, it's a ramp...

Make platforms that stick out to the robot at diffeent heights so workers can get to him. Allow players to get on him... Might be cool to have one hand bent at elbow and have a CP in his hand with a platform from each side to it...

Looking foward to it. What is the outside gonna be? how many CP's?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    more gantrys + make the suspended floors metal mesh.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog wrote: »
    Looking foward to it. What is the outside gonna be? how many CP's?

Its a TC map with CTF instead of CP, which keeps the flow more fast paced and breaks the monotomy of CTF maps while decreasing the stalemates of TC.

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    That's pretty cool!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I agree with DLoud, would be cool to see some unfinished bits of the robot that havent' been surfaced yet w/ the outter shell.

Could then put some scaffolding and hanging lights from it, and around it, to enhance that feel. Would be non-gameplay geometry, but could really help sell it some more? The robot itself is rad, the blue base should have a giant array of nukes, or a godzilla-like robot :)
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    I love where this is going. I have used it as an example to help some friends understand which direction good game art portfolios must go.

Suggestions:
    • Some animated objects that make sparks.
    • Some carousels that are loaded with industrial goods that span acros the huge hollow part (think the door factories in Monsters Inc) these carousels would really expose the hugeness of this robot and provide some depth-of-field comparisons for the viewer.
    • add some familar objects to give the place some scale.
    • The robotic arm suggestion was a great one.
    • maybe some sort of contraption that is painting him?
    • Like others have said: A spot where you can take off one of those metal coverings and expose the inner workings of the giant robot?
    What a great idea this is...*claps* I love it :)
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK wrote: »
    I love where this is going. I have used it as an example to help some friends understand which direction good game art portfolios must go.

What a great idea this is...*claps* I love it :)

Haha, well thank you. Ill take that as a compliment since I dont have a portfolio and am jobless.

BTW, thank you all for comments, im getting an idea of what to do. Altough creating a wall texture is what "really" needs to be done.

Also, the plan originally was to have one of his arms missing and being worked on in another room by mechanics welders shooting lazers w/sparks...but i never got around to it. Here are the lazers. Im thinking about scaling them up, erasing the bottom half, and have them come out of the walls to work on the robot.

compileerrorlf2.jpg

Scott Petty
    Environment Artist
    www.Buddikaman.com
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    did this ever go anywhere?