Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dr Mc ninja

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
seforin polycounter lvl 17
Hey I already have been working on this in my sketchbook, so I dont want people to think im overbumping this or anything, But I want to get alot more crits on this current model ,my goal is to REALLY improve my painting , I still need to fix some minor things that johny and polyhertz told me (fingers/ back)

Anyway my goal is to create Dr.Mcninja From the popular webseries

I plan on only keeping his body in a 256 and his little accesorrys in a 128

So so far Ive done my 1st pass at the entire 256 but Im having a VERY difficult time still painting wrinkles and such, and overall Just want some feedback

anyway

What im making

5p12.gif

What I got

goodDoctor.jpg

Replies

• TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    He could really use some cuffs on his pants that look more natural.

For painting the textures I always found it useful to bake some lights in or create an AO. Then you can really get your head into how the lighting hits the wrinkle you want. Secondly find some great reference photographs and steal the unique elements. Like that weird little wrinkle that twists on top of itself as it comes out of the armpit. Those are the details that make it look real.

His eyes may be a touch too close together. The eye brows are very generic too like a flipped smiley :) How about those angry ones from the drawing?
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know I was trying to create a very generic face Im always told I make angry faces all the time, I think I'll go back to creating a more mean expression on his face give him some more expression to his face, as far as wrinkles though, it just all about stealin the features based off reference to a certain degree?

As far as the legs can you give me a example of what you mean by the cuffs?
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Good reference is huge. Paint what you see ...not how you think it would look.

Revolve site pants - some good reference in here if you sort through the overly metrosexual clothes.

Here's a lighting tutorial bobo made like 6 years ago: http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts_vertex_bake01.htm

Hopefully it gives you an idea what I'm talking about. Its pretty easy in maya too.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    TWilson wrote: »
    Good reference is huge. Paint what you see ...not how you think it would look.

QFT

Its a decent model but it doesnt look like your reference much. You dont have to make mean expressions on all your characters but this particular character has a stern face expression, so make it how you see it. Also his mask doesnt have the same shapes as the comic page shows. Its vital that you get this stuff right as this is a big part of what people interpret as the characters identity. There are more issues but Im sure you can see them if you just work by looking at your reference.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged: By the mask what exactly do you see off about it? Im not quite seeing it asside from the facial expression , also when I originally made this model I was basing it off this

So big issues = Pants/ cloth in general? And facial expression?

www.drmcninja.com (one on the main site)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the whole character needs more a bit more attention to proportions and shapes. Heres a really quick example with just the head comparing your model with the comic. If you analyse each body part carefully and compare it to what you see in the comic you should be able to adjust your model and texture to really show the character.

oh and while we are here, check out his tie it tapers and is quite large and flat your characters tie looks short and pointy.

mcninja_illustration.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fix1.jpg MORE ANGER!

I noticed with his mask in some comics the front bottom flap extends to his neck others it dosent, Im going based off the main site image for the most part.

Anyway tightened his anger expression some extended his tie a bit, need to paint a HELL of a lot more, I only got to touch it a few minutes today :(
  • dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dale22x polycounter lvl 10
    his legs torso and head are all a bit wider int he comic
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Take a look at yourself in a mirror. Make an angry face. Not only should your eyebrows turn downward, but the skin between your eyebrows should also fold some. (Unless of course you have a unibrow...then it might go unnoticed). Good progress...keep it up.

Here are a few things to get you started...

*strokes are blurry and broad (clean/crisp strokes will really help bring it together)
    (The mask was done nicely, try to carry the clean look throughout the entire model)
    *address seam showing where neck and torso join
    *address seam showing between knott and rest of tie
    *address depth between the shirt and lab coat
    *address depth between waist of pants and shirt
    *belt buckle is currently shaped like a heart
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    On the mask, I'm pretty sure that the dark spot on the front is a shadow, and not a different material. You can't see the details of his mouth or nose, either.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok did some fixes, addressed the issues with the mask and expression to the face a bit , I still hate cloth to god knows no end, I really need to learn lighting better before I tackle on folds and wrinkles , also Tried to fix the pants to the best of my abilities. Feel Free to critic what you think is wrong with this.

Also accessorys = 128 map (clover/shrinken, hearthearerthingy,sword)
    Everything else = 256 stand alone map

newbfixeers.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta squeeze those eyebrows in the center, draw a few skin folds and really drive the angry look home. Also the lower lid should be moved up to produce more of a squint.
    SefPooped.gif
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Why such a limited resolution? both for the poly count but also the mesh resolution?

There's some good posts already about the texture and how to improve so I'll limit my comments on the texture. The stethoscope looks more like a pocket watch and doesn't read as a stethoscope at all. The tie needs to be reworked since his tie is not that thin.

For the mesh I'm seeing too many anatomical errors. the head looks completely off, too tall and not round enough. The torso is not muscular enough. The legs should not taper off like that at all. I'd say put more polies into the mesh and flesh out the shape. make the coat more modeled and seperate (say up to around the armpit area if the model is to be rigged and posed/animated). Model the pants so they look properly and not look like they were tucked into his socks. Model the stethoscope seperatly and more accuratly.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    the colors are still incredibly washed out , i assume you want a 100% cartoony look , since none of the texture apeals to realism, so find some examples of the style you want to ahcieve and work on it, also still think the pose is incredibly rigid and the pants dont have any shape at all .
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keg: Im trying to practice making SDK style models with limited resolution to really push myself, I was told by several people this would be the best method to go about this

vig: thank you I knew something still seemed off

johny: Im trying to recreate the style based off the main image of his website which has a kinda paintery feel to it, But Im trying my best. Is there anything you would suggest to avoid the washed out color look?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Seforin, adjust his actual browline, not just the eyebrows. Right now his face is really flat -- look, all of vig's pictures have shadowing between the brow and the eye. Use reference!