Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Some Enviroment Work

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Hey all I'm having issues with unreal's lighting right now.

CR_Preview3.jpg

When I move the lights (before baking) everything blends nicely, but when I bake the lights it turns into this mess... any suggestions?

Its more so the walls, they are repeated static meshes and its just not blending correctly.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you bake lighting you'll need each piece to have its own unique UV space. IF you're letting unreal handle the second UV channel its more then likely doing a poor job and creating a really tiny light map and the pieces might be insanely unwrapped.

You might want to create the second UV channel yourself.
    stimpack wrote: »
    what happened to the vent?!
    It's mirrored?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks a lot Vig, I actually didn't even know that :( I'm guessing that's why In the static Mesh window it has "lightmap coordinates". Thanks a lot vig for the help :)

I must be missing what everyone is looking at (vent wise) But the vent is not mirrored, are you all talking about how the checkers look on it? I'm lost...

Thanks again!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh also vig, it does have an option to set the light map resolution... should I adjust that then?
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frozan wrote: »
    This is awesome! can we see the shader for it?

thats fucking incredible! Kewl
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Jason, in case you haven't checked out Hourences tutoruals here's the link to his explanations of lightmapping. It also comes up quite a bit throughout the other stuff on his site.

http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3lightmap.htm

Diggin the work!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres basically the final of the wall texture for now:

TheRoom_1.jpg

Thanks Saidin, I actually picked up 2 of his books :) And i'll defiantly check his site, the dude is so talented.

Currently though this project is on hold just for a bit, contract work has started to pick up and now I'm making some money, which is kinda nice :)
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    glad to see you getting some contract work, love what you did with the wall :)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That wall looks great, the planks which have peeled off give it lots of character.

Nice one with the contract work, always helps to be earning money! :)
  • Cryocat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You make speedy progress on these props, I'm sure you'll get that scene knocked out pretty quickly. I hope when you render out that Andy Chung concept in engine you keep that light blue tone with your lighting, a lot of your work has a similar feel and though having a style is important, sometimes for a portfolio it's nice to show you can break certain aspects of it, such as with the lighting of the concept you've chosen.
    Just my two cents, I'm not exactly qualified at the moment to offer portfolio advise, as I havent built my own yet :)
    Digging the new site, Good luck.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cryocat, I actually went a different direction from Andy Chung's design, I'm doing the room now which is more of my own design, thanks though :)

Thanks all for the confidence booster :) I just finished my first round of contract work and just about to start some new work. If anyone is looking for a good site for freelance work, try out www.IndieGamer.com. I know polycount has a freelance section, but the indie gamer site is geared towards... well, more indie kinda stuff :)
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are there any tutorials on basic prop modeling in 3ds max? Another thing I'm looking for is steps on the exact techniques people use to make those wall props with all the pipes and stuff on them.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Jason, some cool stuff in this thread.

I have a couple of crits for your wall texture though. The wooden panels are nice, and I like what what you did with the model there too, works well.

However the texture of the wallpaper doesn't make much sense to me - I imagine it's meant to be paper that's torn/peeled off leaving the plaster underneath? Currently it looks like someone has smeared plaster on top of the wallpaper, and the painted-in "drop shadow" at the top of the texture is pretty weird, makes me think it's being lit from below which seems quite unlikely in most cases.

I think examining some more photo reference of this sort of effect, and thinking about exactly how the layers of plaster and paper are built up, and how they might wear out, will result in a more believable look.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Cool work. If everything turns out as nice as the wall, should be interesting. I do agree with MoP that the plaster is a bit weird. Maybe you could make it look like someone was hitting the wall with a chair.