Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - Edward Elric

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
dale22x polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys,

I wanted to make a model of Ed, 3 years ago but never did. couldn't figure out what to do today so i started working on this. I'm going to try to do all the modeling in 3ds max. just to make sure i don't forget how to model hi poly stuff in max.

and about that. Does anyone, or any studio pipeline, use max/maya and other packages like that to model their high rez characters anymore?. I always thought they still would do that since, having useable high poly meshes might be useful for any cinematics or something like that. But i haven't really seen anybody model there high rez in max recently (last 2 - 3 years)

anyhow, heres what i have so far. the hair is temporary. and i MIGHT redo the face to make it more realistic, or at least like how it looks in the comics.

BTW does any one have any tips/suggestions/links about modeling cartoon, or anime (mainly anime) style characters. it's something i've always had a bit of dificulty (mainly the face)

ed02.jpg
ed03.jpg
ed01.jpg

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work so far. I dont know what your aim is, do you have some concept art or a specific goal? if you dont have either of those then I would suggest simply making a faithful reproduction of the original TV series character. That way we can crit you and you will please the fans.
  • dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks,

I'm not exactly making a compelety faithful rendition, it's going to be...a bit more realistic..but not really realistic. I dont' have an exact direction
    i'll just try to make it interesting as i go along. so artistic suggestions are welcome.

this is the character.
    FullMetalAlchemist01.jpg
    Ed02-1.jpg
    Ed01-1.jpg
    ed06.jpg
    ed07.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good work on those boots, I think if you gave them that curve/gap in the arch of the foot on the reference pics they would look even better.

I think its a good idea to decide on your concept direction now before youve done too much, you dont want to get halfway through this and suddenly change direction and have to scrap half your work. You can still adjust stuff on the fly, I just think its a good idea to have a clear idea of what this could be like. That said, its still up to you, sometimes just messing around until you make something cool is good fun.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool. Dont forget his Auto Mail!
  • Mtg_kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    look good. Agree on the boots, and if your going for pre "incident" then he doesnt need automail

heres a good reference page for fma

http://www.catsuka.com/gengal_artworks.php?id=fullmetalalchemist
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    his hands are looking pretty small compare to the reference
  • dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @penguin
    yea i think you are right about the hand, i might just redo it after i get the automail done. that hand is just one i took form a model i never finished, but it doesn't really look good on ed.

@Mtg_kirin
    it's post incident as you can see now.
    and Thanks a lot for the link, they are really useful

@Josh
    yup!

@Ged
    yea i have a tiny curve but i guess it's barely noticable..some the thing was most images of him didn't have any curve. but i'll play around and see if how it looks with a more visible arc

and i think i'll just figure it out as i go for now. I'm not in a rush or anything, so redoing parts isn't a big deal...plus =D more practise.

ed08.jpg
    ed09.jpg
  • Quokimbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    His hair reminds me ALOT of Sephiroth!

Other then that I looks good thus far!