Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

kiosk

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
been assigned to build a kiosk that can hold a few people in approx. 1500 tris. this is for a texturing class so we've also been assigned to use the following on the model:

• Textures 2 x 2048 x 2048 for Color, Bump(normal), and Spec

So this will be a good opportunity to work with map channels and get some serious detail in via textures.

I'll be making my kiosk a small cook hut or taco stand. here is my wip.

x.jpg

Replies

• AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    The sink and the fridge seem to have wasted polygons.
    If you build the chairs like this(see picture) it will also save you some tris.

Otherwise, looks like a fine lowpoly model. It will be most interesting to see what you will do with the texture. :)

suggestion.jpg
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    AimBiZ wrote: »
    The sink and the fridge seem to have wasted polygons.
    If you build the chairs like this(see picture) it will also save you some tris.

Otherwise, looks like a fine lowpoly model. It will be most interesting to see what you will do with the texture. :)

suggestion.jpg

Probably just a teachers model he had to rush...I wouldn't worry bout it, since its just a texturing exercise
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    EricV wrote: »
    Probably just a teachers model he had to rush...I wouldn't worry bout it, since its just a texturing exercise
    Of course, just giving some tips. ;)
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I built the model the other afternoon, but have been a bit busy in the last day.

Thanks for the geometry crits, I'll definitely be going back in and fixing up those pieces.

The reason I have the strange geometry dissecting the fridge was because I was considering modeling and texturing the inside of the fridge as well... since I've been given 2x 2048 maps to make a small hut with. It's probably more work right now than I feel like doing within the next week so I think I'm probably just going to seal up the fridge and keep on moving with the rest of the model.

Cheers!
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to call this finished modeling for now and move on to unwrap and textures from here unless I receive further crit on the geometry.

I'll be using two 2048s for this exercise. Any layout suggestions?

x-1.jpg

a few more mini props yet to come (register, pot pan etc)

ty!
    ADM
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    i would say instead of 2 2048x2048s i would use a handful of 1024s 512s and 256s Since a lot of this whole scene should just be tileable textures and then adding some decals.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, was thinking the same thing due to the number of props that will be indoors taht could use their own textures.

I'll run it my my instructor on Sat morning and see if that would be an acceptable alternative option to the 2048s
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks. Haven't received approval from my instructor yet concerning how I should layout my UV's so I went ahead and put my entire building structure (minus the interior and exterior props) onto one UV layout.

I've overlapped a many of the UV's in order to save UV space. I really want to learn to do UV layouts the right way.

I realize right now there is some distortion on the gutters, I'll fix those soon.

Suggestions would be awesome! Thanks!

wip

layout.jpg

here's some blocked out color to help show how the UV is affected when stacking
    kioskuvlayout2.jpg

Also, here is the finished model with all the props inside... I'll be putting them on a seperate layout... haven't determined whether to give them all individual layouts or all on the same large map.
    kioskuvlayout2-1.jpg
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some updates on my texture. I'm gonna be going with a 1024 on the building and to save time I'm going to just put all of the other contents onto their own 1024, depending on time I might give them all their own small individual maps. Here is the wip of the building texture.

kioskuvlayout2-2.jpg
    kioskUVlayout.jpg

I'm having some strange rendering issue on the roof tiles... clean in one direction and blurry in the other, depending on camera alignment... odd. 3ds Max 9 sp2

seeking crits.

Thanks for looking!
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    a2ws55.jpg

Did you paint the shadows on the wall? I'd just render an AO map and overlay it on the texture instead.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Leviathan.

I also did a render in Maya with some more work on the textures.

house01.jpg

I think the normal maps seem a bit off and the walls a bit shiny. Any tips?

Cheers
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I think the tiles on the roof need more depth, this could be done by adding darker shadows between/under each tile or by baking (stronger) normal maps.

I'm not sure what the texture on the wall is supposed to be, looks like an amalgamation of brick, plaster and mud. You should define the material better.
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree. I was wanting to go for a plasterlike wall, with some old bricks underneath showing through, but I think I've way overdone it with the textjure of the bricks. I'll tone that down tomorrow morning and make some more convincing variations with the texture.

Perhaps if I smoothed that wall a bit more it would help the roof seem a bit more dimensional. I'll be sure to strengthen that normal and diffuse channel tomorrow as well.

Thanks again! Keep it comin :P