Home Technical Talk

.md5mesh smoothing problems

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys;

We are currently trying to convert our models into .md5mesh models and we seem to of run into a snag. See, we already made our local maps, so those are done now, and they work, it all looks great. Using them ingame as a .lwo/.ase in Doom3/Quake4/OD, it works fine, displays fine etc... But when we convert the model into .md5mesh ready for animation, the model loses all its smoothing info, and instead looks awful ingame. The only solution I seem to be able to find on this is using Doom 3's built in renderbump, but I'm sure I've seen people do it differently?

Is there any way at all for .md5mesh to use the smoothing group already on the model...? Because it looks like ass, and we dont want to have to remake anything right now.

Thanks guys.

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    MD5mesh doesn't support smoothing groups/hard edges/vertex normals, as far as I'm aware. I assume it's possible to get the same effect by simply breaking the verts along the edges which need to be "hard" before exporting. I assume the exporter won't weld those verts back together (although I might be wrong).
    Obviously that means you end up with more skin weights, which is bad, but it will let you preserve the smoothing.

Using Renderbump to regenerate the normalmaps so they match the smoothed normals is the only other solution.