Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Anatomy Practice

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
Looking for some early crits... i know there's alot still to do. thanks in advance.

-edit-
added arms and hands but they still need work.

thanks japhir, i widened up the pecs abit but i think i just need to add a lil more geometry. also, evened out the abs a bit but maybe not enough. hopefully the arms help the shoulders look better.

oh and it's about 1200ish polys atm

/-edit-

maleanatomyni5.jpg

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    pecks should be wider and shoulders should be more "part of the rest" (if you know what i mean ;).) you might want to make him more "phat" too, not literaly, but move his abs forward a bit. (and his upperchest inward).
    other than that i think that the geometry is pretty nice!
    hope it helps!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    i'm not an expert on anatomy but your model looks a tad off. i hope ur using some good photo reference or books to make sure things are in the right place and proportion to each other. i also think the way u posed ur arms throws me off...u may want to model them in more of a relaxed pose to give a mroe natural look...just a thought.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update - added legs and feets.

slosh - thanks for the advice :) i thought i had the proportions pretty good though he is a tad short, just a bit over 7 heads. could you maybe be a bit more specific?

maleanatomycu1.jpg

as before crits are much appreciated... though i know it's boring subject matter :p
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Like Japhir said, the shoulders need some work. I like to do a loop running from the pecs, around the border of th deltoid and into the back:

PODelts.jpg
  • kymbyli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What reference are you working from?
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    First off, lets stay away from that crazy modeling pose. I dont know anyone that stands, walks, sleeps, eats, anything like that. Plus that looks like a bitch to rig....

Onto the modeling, the anatomy is pretty close, its just wonked out in places. hes bowleged, incredibly wide chest. I cant even crit the arms b/c they are at a funky angle. His overall posture looks like he has a board straped to his back. The human body is FILLED with curves, you should play on those as you model. It will help bring interest and feel of naturalism (i may have just made up that word) into the piece.

I believe pics speak louder than words, so here is a quicky mok up. You should find reference and stick to it when doing an anatomy study.

reff-1.jpg

reff1.jpg

best of luck.
  • kymbyli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aswell as working from refence which has been demonstated fantasically, I would invest in a Anatomy for Artists type book. They can be pretty cheap and the more indepth ones give a great understanding of what makes us the shape we are. I don't think you can truely understand the body until you see the bone and muscle structures.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i turned the corner, and there was a huge steaming pile of COCK! lol

thanks for the crits all, they are spot on and I will attempt to get them sorted out.

thanks again