Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hi, Crits for Large Image Dump

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Colemerson polycounter lvl 10
Hewo, been lurking in the shadows of Guest for awhile now. I was gonna post awhile ago but the one time I decided not to hit "Ctrl C" before previewing the internet decided it was hungry and ate my post. Think I saw it mentioned that it was fixed but none the less here I am.

Tree01.jpg

Tree02.jpg

Tree03.jpg

Tree04.jpg

Tree05.jpg

Tree06.jpg

I'm only allowed 10 pictures per post so scroll down to see the rest along with my comments.

Replies

• Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sword01.jpg

Sword02.jpg

Sword03.jpg

Sword04.jpg

Sword05.jpg

Sword06.jpg

Sword07.jpg

Sword08.jpg

Sword09.jpg

Sword10.jpg

Only allowed 10 pictures per post so scroll down to see the rest along with my comments.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flag01.jpg

Flag02.jpg

Flag03.jpg

Flag04.jpg

Flag05.jpg

Flag06.jpg

RhinoRender2.jpg

Rhinowire.jpg

Hopefully not too many images =\ . Tree is the most recent with the Flag being the oldest.

Rhino was done somewhere before the tree for something quick and fun. I'll prob get around to texturing him sometime and maybe rig him up. Hes not quite done yet as I could prob clean up some poly's around the lower head (Mouth) area that aren't really necessary.

Learned alot on the sword. First time I did Highpoly to Lowpoly normal map. Fairly simple highpoly was good to work with for the first time to get a hang of it. Not entirely happy with the sword. After taking a look at it again there is alot I would probly change. I could prob cut the texture size down alot. I dont' think I would do both sides of the blades and some of the other stuff too. Not really any noticeable difference to warrant it. Wish I could push the general texture a bit more. Find ita bit hard to try and keep things "New" and yet add interest.

The tree was fun and quick turn around time. I would prob change the grass and make the blades thicker so I wouldnt' need so many alphas to create the same look. Overall I'm sure there is more I could do with the texture too.

Currently working on an art test and thinking over some other stuff to do too. I over a bunch of stuff in the Environment FAQ to help and what I do next. Will definately be more environment based instead of props or mini scene like the tree.

Hopefully be working on stuff a bit more regularly. Part of the reasoned I signed up finally was to help me feel obligated to work more and keep stuffupdated.

I'm looking for as much crit as possible to help out on future projects so feel free to completely demolish it all. :D
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aparently newest goes to the top =\ Messed that up but w/e
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    newest goes to the top for you, you can change that in your settings.
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
  • seankaremaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Cole,
    this new work is generally looking pretty slick.
    there are a few things that i noticed that might help.
    -the rhino would have some problems with his legs if you were try to animate him. it might look strange with the legs coming out the the bottom of his body. particularly on the front legs. right now his legs and his body are very separate visually and i think you could simply have them more organically connected and have maybe another edge loop around the but and shoulder, with the shoulder especially you could add some shape to him this way. it seems you have a good silhouette for him from the side but i would consider his silhoute more from a front or 3/4 view as well.

-the sword has a lot of detail in the low poly version that doesn't need to be there. essentially anything that doesn't change the silhouette significantly should probably be cut. for example the diamond shapes in the grip and the groove on the blade could easily be done with the normal map. also i would add more detail to the high poly, emphasize the woven grip patterns that these swords have. the pommel and the piece of metal at the bottom of the handle would often have elaborate symbols on them such as family crests, these could be put in as well.

I really like your little forest vignette, i think it would be cool if you did a bunch like that. my only gripe with it is that maybe you could add some geometry to some of the leaves and bend them in the middle or something so that you don't see them as planes so much maybe rotate and flip them around around a bit as well, you wont need to add much geo. you could shave some tris off of the trunk and branches, it probably doesn't need as many divisions around as it has.
    you could probably get away with less planes of grass.
    hope this helps, great work dude.
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Karemaker, long time no chat. Nice to see you around.

Thanks for the input. Forgot the knees on the Rhino too as i need an extra tri or 2 in there for it to deform properly if i rig him up. I'll have to see whats the best route with the legs is, especially the front ones. Prob post in him in the low poly thread in a bit.

Keep the feedback coming :D
  • Colemerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    newest goes to the top for you, you can change that in your settings.

Yeah thanks I found it :D