Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

graduating 3d environment/prop artist need some crits!!

hi i am graduating the art institute of california - orange county in 5-6 months and i am posting what i have so far for my portfolio. i plan to have 3 environments and 10-15 props completed.

*the first scene is an underground basement of an under construction building. 3d max.
* the second scene is an outdoor middle eastern city street inspired by call of duty 4 and dark sector.(work in progress) 3d max
* the third image is a medieval torture chair prop (work in progress). maya.

i really appreciate good constructive criticism thanks in advance.

here is my online portfoio from cgtalk.com
http://duxun.cgsociety.org/gallery/633040/

Replies

• gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    hi i am graduating the art institute of california - orange county in 5-6 months and i am posting what i have so far for my portfolio. i plan to have 3 environments and 10-15 props completed.
    With only ~6 months left and classes still to attend I'd highly recommend you scale your scope back. One solid environment and 4-5 detailed next-gen / current-gen props will be more than enough to land an entry level EA / Prop artist job. Don't over do it for the sake of having content.

That said, having looked at your current portfolio focus your attention on creating believable materials. Understand how to really use your base maps (diffuse, spec, normal). Are you doing any hi-rez modelling for normal maps? Continue to work on your lighting as well.

Best of luck!

-Tyler
  • ryanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanH polycounter lvl 18
    the "middle eastern city street" shot would be kick ass if you completed it. i like how you started to sag the buildings showing some weight. just try to do it in a way that is realistic. look at how buildings sag under their own weight over time and try to mimic that. there is potential for a lot of color in this shot too, with tapestries, cloth, flags, painted props.

hope you can complete it!

peace, Ryan
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atm im not using high res models for normal maps im going to use zbrush to create my normal maps for that basement scene and for everything else i do from now on .

and yes you are correct my textures need more attention to detail . thank you for the advice .
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    any one else have any suggestions critiques of my work plz chime in and let me know.

thanks in advance .