Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character WIP: Obi

Deleting thread due to asshattery.

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Looking decent for a base mesh. I'd say you should post some larger unshaded wires on flat model. easier to crit that way...
    You may want to work on smoothing out your polyflow of the basemesh. Its better to have more consistent polygon density prior to Zbrushing.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    You have a lot of n-gons in there. Having 4+ sided polygons will lead to really bad subdivision and probably some tessellation once it's in Zbrush. I'd suggest taking more time and evening out your polygon distribution, making sure your mesh is composed entirely or almost entirely of quads, and making sure your mesh flow is as clean as possible.

A great way to learn how to construct a mesh that will subdivide and deform is to take a look at other people's models and how they made them. If you can get Arshlevon's base mesh, you could take a look at how it's constructed since it subdivides quite well.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That was quick! You should make sure you check your references again and that they are undistorted.

The profile of your head looks way stretched. I've attached an animated gif showing how I'd begin adjusting it.

yardsale_crit.gif

And, when I said flat w/ wires I meant like this:
    http://www.ryan-jackson.net/images/frank_west/frank_flat.jpg
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the biggest suggestion would be to model your own base mesh if you want to call it your own. If you are just taking it in to zbrush for practice it is fine to use someone else's, but you shouldn't really take a different base mesh and change a couple parts and call it your own.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you use somebody else's mesh for your own project. You should definitely take The_Kozmonaut's advice.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    oh you are from westwood college,then it is explained.... but i could tell from a mile of distance that this was based on arshlevon basemesh , i guess its ok to do what you want with it, he doesnt care, nor should, but you wont learn anything by giving crappy topology to a already existing model and call it your own, you are only prejudicing yourself since its basicallly picking someones work and completely throw it in the crapper.