Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

modular game environment WIP

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
truedeja polycounter lvl 13
this will be a western scene, hopefully finally rendered within the UT engine. Sorry for the boring first post but hopefully in time this will be more interesting.
screenshotoc4.jpg
----
renderay9.jpg

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nice barrel, but the metal has the same textured feel to it which looks off. The metal seems to have the same wood grain pattern.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    I see you're building modular pieces, but are you building to the grid?

-Tyler
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    that really shouldnt be an issue if everything lines up correct? just lots of vert snapping.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Well, if you're looking to take it into Unreal I advise using the grid as you won't be able to snap to verts in the editor. Modeling to the grid using a set of metrics may take a bit of pre-planning but its more than worth it when assembling in engine and re-using pieces.

Good luck!

-Tyler
  • GammaMinus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GammaMinus polycounter lvl 17
    I agree with gamedev, if you are building the environment pieces for an engine, i would recommend figuring out what kind of units it uses and go off of that grid. I recently built a modular environment for UT3 and i made sure to keep it all in neat sizes (32, 64, 128, 256, etc) and it was so easy to put together once the pieces were made. Check it out if you want http://www.gamma-minus.com/Content/Pages/3D/Environments/PumpRoom/Pumproom_Max01.html
    I havn't received much of a critiqe on it so feel free to let me know what you think.
  • truedeja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    truedeja polycounter lvl 13
    thank you all for posting and replying, I understand there isn't much interesting yet. Also, thank you for mentioning snapping and such, I have in the past done something to that affect with another engine and yes it would be impossible to build an entire level modularly without it. However, this is like a "movie set" in that I intend on rendering a still whether it is from maya or unreal. Either way I will do my best to make it snap as best I can.

Thank you again and I'll post progress friday night.

-peace
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a decent start =)

Needs more trim. In 3dsmax the quick way is to highlight an edge and "convert it to shape" which makes a spline. Change the spline to a rectangle and turn on generate UV's and you've got trim. I've done it in Maya but don't have it at work so I can't give you a step by step =/

Why trim? it helps hide seams, it helps cap pieces so they can be used at the ends of buildings. It also adds detail, and its fast easy and cheap.
  • joshvito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with vig, needs more of the smaller details. stairs need a railing, trim adds detail, maybe some place to tie my horse off too, partner.