Home Technical Talk

How to make a model for game?

Hello,
I would like to make a game model, but I do not really know how...

1) I have a high-poly human model from makehuman optimized to 7000 vertices. As I know this is too much for a game. How to convert it to less poly model? Or maybe I should make a low-poly model from scratch?

2) I'am using gmax, but it can export to MD3 and P3D. I have export plugin for MD5, but it doesn't work. Is Md3 good for game model? Or maybe Md5 or SMD is better?

3) Is it true that if I want to use Md3 than I need to split my character into separate parts- head, torso, legs, arms? How to do this properly?

4) Are there any tutorials on making 3d characters for games?

5) How to attach bones to the mesh in 3dstudio/gmax?

6) Are there any*models free for commercial/ non-commercial games?

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #2c2c2c; background-image: none; color: #cccccc; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #2c2c2c; background-image: none; color: #cccccc; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

Replies

• Acord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, your only good alternative is to create a new low poly model, but you can leave the makehuman model there and use it for reference while you're doing it, which makes it pretty darned easy.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, and welcome =)

1) 7000 verts should be fine. Most games count triangles but I can't imagine you having too many with only 7000 verts. I think you should make your own model, you'll learn more. But it might be helpful to run through the process with what you have, once just to see how it goes.

2) As far as I know there are very few games you can use Gmax to create content for. I think Quake3Arena was about the only one I remember.

3) Really should figure out what game you want it to go into, assess if your tools can do that, and then hunt for tutorials on getting that done. I think GMax has some extra documentation you can download that covers exporting to Quake3Arena?

4) TONS, are you looking for generic modeling tutorials? GMax has some really good ones included in the help/tutorials. Most if not all apply to 3dsMax as well. I would start there, and maybe do some searches.

5) In GMax you would need to create a custom skeleton or download one. If you have a specific game in mind, then you should hunt around to see if there are specific skeleton set ups you can use.

6) Polycount's main page has the beginnings of the model data base being reconstructed. Outside of that, searches for Unreal, Quake, Half Life & Doom "Custom/Personal Player Models" or skins. I think http://skincity.beyondunreal.com/ is a good place to start for Unreal models.
  • tooom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your fast replies.
    I need models for my own game. It uses own engine based on GLScene component. These are supported 3d file types: 3ds,gl2,gts,lwo,md2,md3,md5,mdc,ms3d,nmf,nurbs,obj,oct,ply,smd,stl,tin and vrml, but I don't know which of these can be animated (of course md3 and m5 can be).
    I managed to optimize my model (it looks fantstic!) with MeshLab to 5680 vertices (10710 faces). Gmax can import it, but it cannot save it to MD3 (limit of 4096 vertices) and I need gmax to animate it (or maybe I can animate with another tool?).
    I already have a map (made with GTK Radiant) and it works great, so the only big problem is the character model (actually 2, but they will only have different textures).

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #2c2c2c; background-image: none; color: #cccccc; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    tooom wrote: »
    2) I'am using gmax, but it can export to MD3 and P3D. I have export plugin for MD5, but it doesn't work. Is Md3 good for game model? Or maybe Md5 or SMD is better?

3) Is it true that if I want to use Md3 than I need to split my character into separate parts- head, torso, legs, arms? How to do this properly?
    Yes, the exporter only handles (can handle) a limited amount of data because of the way scripts and script output works (or not as the case actually is) within gMax, so you have to cut the model down into smaller sections for output... it might be less that 2k vertices per section, can't remember.

Trouble is that this obviously creates problems if you're trying to export an animated object. If you want to get into production proper I'd ditch gMax because it's simply to limited, unless you're using a gamepack and editing a game that uses one of those.

Next best alternative (if you want to stay legal) is going with Blender 3D.
  • novakaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am using milkshape and was wondering if someone could teach me how to make low poly objs like barrels and such i'm working with some friends and i am interested in making the objs for the game and it's for kinda slow running computers so the poly count has to be something like 75-100 per obj if possible that's just for the barrels and crates and such, if you know how can you teach me please or send me links and it's for the neoaxis engine which uses ogre rendering i have the ogre export addon and it is installed properly.