Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Generic Head

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
well, not actually generic... it's a self portrait. though not very good :poly110::poly141:

i've been looking at it too long and tweaking too many little things. looking for C & C. mainly on topology. but anything's cool :poly108:

frontrn5.png

sideuz8.png

threequarterbv5.png

and here's my reference.... i had been working all day outside and didn't feel like getting prettied up for the pics. oh and they're downsized. the actual refs are all 2000px+

frontrefeo7.png

siderefsq9.png

thanks in advance for any help ^^

Replies

• ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Well, the first question I have to ask is:
    Is this model for realtime or subdivision/offline rendering?
    If this is for offline/highpoly show us the model smoothed w/ wires.

Your topo looks ok, although the 2 loops you've got running through the top should just be terminated right at or above the eyebrows. Otherwise it'll smooth weird across the top of th head. Kinda hard to tell with it unsmoothed though.:shifty:

Also, you can help everybody and yourself out by presenting your images better, like so.

rusty_crit.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks good to me. Maybe a few too many loops around the mouth nose and eyes. Also, noticing unique characteristics in yourself and portraying them with your model will also give it a more realistic look. For example, I notice your nose is not symmetrical, so adding some A symmetry to the nose will definitely help make the piece stand out more.

Also from the 3 quarters view it looks like your face could use some rounding out. Like the corners of your face should be pulled back to the ears more. Its a really common thing that happens when working with just the two orthographics.

As for the topology, I think it looks really nice, looks like all quads and loops where they should be, well done.
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    The main section of polys running up from the nose to the middle of the head, I would suggest moving them out further from each other, along with the section of polys leading down from the chin to the neck make them come in closer. If you are going to bring this into a program such as mudbox or zbrush you need to make the polys closer in size to each other, and the topology a little less jumpy. Overall your poly flow is not working to well, especially if this is going to be a base mesh that you work from, so take your time and redistribute those polys to give the most out of yoru silhoette and flow. Hope that helps, and good luck with this one.

Spark